The Next Generation of Pen Makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Racer3770

Hey everyone!

I am a teacher at an Independent STEM school in southwest Ohio. At the end of every year, teachers create a new course called "STEMmersion". This course is a 10-day immersive experience for students in grades 6-11 and is the highlight of everyone's school year. This year, I am creating a pen making course to introduce 25 new pen makers to one of the coolest hobbies on Earth! Students will be creating 3 different types of pens, practicing lathe safety, resin casting their own blanks, learning how to fill, use, and clean their own fountain pen, and more!

To make this happen, I need a few things:

1st​: I would love to hear your experiences and advice on teaching students how to make a pen. I plan to have five operational lathes and enough equipment for each. I am an experienced turner and I have the basic safety tips down and plan to teach/test every student. Anything I should look out for or pay special attention to?

2nd​: I need quite a few items in order to get the program off the ground and make it sustainable. I'll make a list of the items below:

• Blanks (wood)
  • Blanks (acrylic)
  • Slimline Pen Kits (any plating)
  • Slimline Pen Bushings
  • Sandpaper
  • Fountain Pen Ink (opened, or unopened)
  • Fountain Pen Friendly Paper
  • 7mm Drill Bits
  • 3/8 Drill Bits
  • 27/64 Drill Bits
  • Turning Tools (gouges and skews mostly)
  • Pen Press
  • Pen Mandrels 2MT
  • Mandrel Saver 2MT
  • Jacob's Drill Chucks 2MT
  • Casting Supplies (alumilite dyes, mica powders, stir sticks, etc…)
I just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had supplies laying around taking up space. I have a little bit of a budget for this special project, but plan to provide the difference from my own supplies if I need to. If you have any of these items and are willing to donate, here is the address for the school:

ATTN: James Smith
Dayton Regional STEM School
1724 Woodman Dr.
Kettering, OH 45420

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I am so excited to introduce an entire class of young turners to the hobby we all love.

TLDR: I would love to hear your advice on teaching kids age 10-17 the art of pen making. I am also in need of some donations to get my program off the ground. Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amanap

I will be more than happy to make up some acrylic blanks for you. Let me know what colors you are looking for.

What you are doing is awesome, thank you.

Racer3770

I will be more than happy to make up some acrylic blanks for you. Let me know what colors you are looking for.

What you are doing is awesome, thank you.
Thank you! That's so kind!

Registration started today, so I haven't met the students that will be a part of the class yet. I'm sure they would be ecstatic to receive whatever you were willing to send though. Thank you again!

Amanap

Thank you! That's so kind!

Registration started today, so I haven't met the students that will be a part of the class yet. I'm sure they would be ecstatic to receive whatever you were willing to send though. Thank you again!
I have a bunch of different colors so I can make up whatever. Or since you are in Ohio I could just make them all Michigan Wolverine colors. Lol

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When does the class start? I have a big variety of wood blanks & would be glad to send you some.

You mentioned a 27/64 drill bit, so I presume you might need other kits besides slimlines??

Racer3770

When does the class start? I have a big variety of wood blanks & would be glad to send you some.

You mentioned a 27/64 drill bit, so I presume you might need other kits besides slimlines??
Hey Edgar!

The class will start in May of this year. I'm sure the students would love anything you had to send if you get a chance.

My plan is to offer a few different types of pens to turn. As of right now, I want to do a slimline with a wooden blank because it will be the easiest to practice on, then a rollerball pen, and then they will cast their own blank using Alumilite resin to make a manager fountain pen.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Hey Edgar!

The class will start in May of this year. I'm sure the students would love anything you had to send if you get a chance.

My plan is to offer a few different types of pens to turn. As of right now, I want to do a slimline with a wooden blank because it will be the easiest to practice on, then a rollerball pen, and then they will cast their own blank using Alumilite resin to make a manager fountain pen.
Thanks - I'll be glad to pack up a MFRB for you in the next few weeks.

henry1164

Would you be able to use Slimline Pencil kits in brushed satin finish? Due to a change in plans on an order I seem to have 28 of these kits on my hands that I would never use in the next 10 years. This kit is the same size as a slimline pen - just a little different in assembly, but not difficult to accomplish. If you would like these for this project I can ship them right away. Cost - a few photos of the results along with the smiling faces of the "new" turners. Harry

Attachments

• IMG_5420.jpeg
    IMG_5420.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 92

Racer3770

Would you be able to use Slimline Pencil kits in brushed satin finish? Due to a change in plans on an order I seem to have 28 of these kits on my hands that I would never use in the next 10 years. This kit is the same size as a slimline pen - just a little different in assembly, but not difficult to accomplish. If you would like these for this project I can ship them right away. Cost - a few photos of the results along with the smiling faces of the "new" turners. Harry

That would be awesome! Thank you very much for being willing to send them!

I plan to post again towards early June with an update on the project, pictures, and another thank you for everyone that's offered encouragement or sent donations. This community is awesome and I appreciate all of you!

henry1164

That would be awesome! Thank you very much for being willing to send them!

I plan to post again towards early June with an update on the project, pictures, and another thank you for everyone that's offered encouragement or sent donations. This community is awesome and I appreciate all of you!
Shipping today. Tracking - USPS 9405509205568960117213. All the best to you and your students. Harry

Fine Engineer

James,
What a wonderful program to start! I'm new to the craft, but found that it is not difficult to create a basic pen (the 90 / 10 rule definitely applies here*), so this should be great for students learning shop processes. Learn new things, and when complete, you have some tangible items to show for the effort. In fact, I still have a small toolbox I made out of sheet metal in middle school metal shop class (circa 1973). This will be a class they remember for their entire lives.

*90 / 10 rule; you can get 90% of the results with 10% of the effort. it takes 90% of the effort to get that last 10% of the results.

RunnerVince

One suggestion I have is to talk about/demonstrate stabilizing.

That said, if you have the capability to stabilize, I have some beautiful but fragile walnut burl blanks I've been hanging onto until I get into a bigger shop and have the money/space for a stabilizing setup. They really do need to be stabilized before turning. The two I've done without stabilizing ended up being way beyond beginner difficulty for mediocre results, so I'm just saving the rest.

I'd be happy to send you four or five.

If stabilizing isn't an option, let me know, and I'd be happy to make a small monetary donation to the cause.

Racer3770

One suggestion I have is to talk about/demonstrate stabilizing.

That said, if you have the capability to stabilize, I have some beautiful but fragile walnut burl blanks I've been hanging onto until I get into a bigger shop and have the money/space for a stabilizing setup. They really do need to be stabilized before turning. The two I've done without stabilizing ended up being way beyond beginner difficulty for mediocre results, so I'm just saving the rest.

I'd be happy to send you four or five.

If stabilizing isn't an option, let me know, and I'd be happy to make a small monetary donation to the cause.
I have stabilizing equipment and have dabbled enough to be dangerous... but I wouldn't consider myself an expert at it. I'm also concerned about using ovens for an extended period at the school building.

We'd appreciate anything you're willing to send. The generosity of the pen community still amazes me!

Top Bottom