The lurking member, Charles! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Hello guys,

I have been fiddling around with wood for about a year or so, I had no background with wood working. I have been lurking in these forums for a little while so here is what I have done!

I have made a few pens and I would like to share the pictures of my favorites. To me, wood is infinite and it's all about finding the incredible blank and not wasting it!

I would describe myself as a dedicated and never satisfied micro-detail freak, I really enjoy working with my hands, it's the best way to empty my mind.

Click the pictures for the bigger version!

Charles

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

The Fountain Pens may I ask where you got those blanks? The Pictures that are on them is that something you did yourself or was it done for you? I was also wondering what finish you used on all the pens. They are some very nice pens with very nice finishes on them. GREAT WORK!!! Len

robutacion

Yeah, welcome Charles...!:biggrin:

Those are some exquisite pens you got there, the timbers are nice but that finish is something else...!:eek:

You have done also an excellent job with the pics, sure the camera is a good one for these type of shots but, you had good taste in the composition also.

I have no doubt that all this has to do with you undisputed claim, "dedicated and never satisfied micro-detail freak!:wink:"

It takes one to know one...!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Cheers
George

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Charles. Wow! Those are beautiful pens. Great finish.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Very nice work, and welcome to the IAP. Please don't go back to lurking. Share your thoughts and ideas about pen making.

CharlesH

The fountain pens use Emperor Jr kits.

The one with dragon is Jeff Powell blank, it's called hidden dragon, made of buckeye. You can find his signature blanks on www.exoticblanks.com

The other is a blank of xylay afzelia, it had triple colors, yellow orange and red. The small inlay in it is snakewood. I made those! The finish is CA glue.

Charles

The Fountain Pens may I ask where you got those blanks? The Pictures that are on them is that something you did yourself or was it done for you? I was also wondering what finish you used on all the pens. They are some very nice pens with very nice finishes on them. GREAT WORK!!! Len

Last edited:

CharlesH

Thanks for all the kind words. I am really driven by the wood!!! :)

Charles

Yeah, welcome Charles...!:biggrin:

Those are some exquisite pens you got there, the timbers are nice but that finish is something else...!:eek:

You have done also an excellent job with the pics, sure the camera is a good one for these type of shots but, you had good taste in the composition also.

I have no doubt that all this has to do with you undisputed claim, "dedicated and never satisfied micro-detail freak!:wink:"

It takes one to know one...!:rolleyes::biggrin:

Cheers
George

CharlesH

Regarding the wood, it's all about obsession, everyday I look on every possible sites to find the exquise blank. ;)

Most of my blanks were bought off eBay. If I can give you an advice, some sellers out there sell bigger burl blocks, ask them for smaller pieces. Also, always contact whoever you buy from and ask them for what you like, you could be surprised! :)

I once contacted someone that was selling exotic woods and corals. He harvested the coral while fishing shrimps many years ago and he sent me a nice sample of black coral and in exchange I made him a pen with amboyna burl (which he provided) inlayed with black coral. :)

Unfortunately the piece he provided exploded on me, but still it was nice to learn working with that material.

See below:

Charles

I love the "wet look" finish, you have to share the details!!, but the timber is some of the best I have seen, where do you get your wood from? I have yet to find any like it!

Kevin

www.deadwoodpenworks.com

Last edited:

CharlesH

I already went to the Library, hehehe. ;)

Thanks for posting great references.

Charles

Welcome Charles. Wow! Those are beautiful pens. Great finish.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

CharlesH

As you could see I like dark.

The kit is "Broadwell Art Deco Gold T/N & Black T/N Ball Point Pen Kit".

Available at Pennstateind.com, I would to outline I have been unsatisfied with Pennstates lately regarding the plating on the finish of their kits. This one particularly and the Majestic Squire in Ti.

In my last 3 orders I had small spot on their hardware out of the box, while they have responsive customer service, it's got the reason of me and I try to avoid ordering from there since those issues.

Charles

Charles those are great pens , super blanks and unbelievable finish. Where did you get the kit in the first pic and whats is it called?
Pete

Top Bottom