The Celtic Knot Saga, part 3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from duderubble

duderubble

So these are halfknots. I thought it might be easier to match. They are cut through. As you can see the bottom lines up better than the top. The top I used a 90* L straightedge to glue. The bottom I just eyeballed both sides. I think that would be harder to do with 4 cuts. Woods are African Blackwood, paduk and curly hard maple. No sanding before the CA because that blackwood dust would ruin the other two colors. This pen isn't perfect but I learned more. And I think the colors are striking.

Attachments

• 20200607_202509.jpg
    20200607_202509.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 20200607_202519.jpg
    20200607_202519.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 20200607_202535.jpg
    20200607_202535.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 20200607_202547.jpg
    20200607_202547.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 197
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mnerland

Awesome design idea....just might steal it! :D I struggle with knots myself, and I see the alignment issue on the last pic. I had luck "eyeballing" a through cut knot one time. Never happened again. Beautiful pen, though, and great choice of woods.

jttheclockman

Told you everything needs to line up after you make the cuts and go to glue. Without seeing how you did your glue up I have no suggestions except that the infill needs to have one end cut on the same angle as the body so that it lays flat against the angle jig. I shown these photos in your last thread.

duderubble

Both knots were done together. What got cut off one got glued on the other. Back and forth. That gave the colored centers of the knots. The maple matched the kerf precisely. But for this half knot it seems eyballing is better. Of course with this design the partial cut is not an option.

jttheclockman

Both knots were done together. What got cut off one got glued on the other. Back and forth. That gave the colored centers of the knots. The maple matched the kerf precisely. But for this half knot it seems eyballing is better. Of course with this design the partial cut is not an option.
No, partial cuts is not an option for those but I would not do the eyeballing. Just make both blanks the same size and interchanging pieces should be easy.

randyrls

Very nice! A thinner saw blade will cut a narrower kerf and make the inset pieces a bit larger if you do a full knot. I use a 7-1/4" circular saw blade on my table saw. You could also use a band saw.
Finishing cuts with a skew will allow you to do minimal sanding. Flood the knot area with thin CA before doing sanding. Sand a bit, CA, sand a bit, CA, etc.

wood128

Hey if that works for you then go with it. More than one way to do these. Good luck and hope you try the entire knot using that method.
John if I may ask. How do you get the different color wood inside the knot ? Probably a simple answer. I have made a number of Celtic Knot blanks , but have not considered the different color scheme . Beautiful work. Take care.

jttheclockman

John if I may ask. How do you get the different color wood inside the knot ? Probably a simple answer. I have made a number of Celtic Knot blanks , but have not considered the different color scheme . Beautiful work. Take care.
Simple, they are done just as Guy did on his pen above except cut 4 times instead of the 2 that he did. He did half a knot to get that look. Do the other cuts and you have it.

KenB259

Should be. But the eyeballing worked better in this case.

Segmenting takes precision and attention to detail. That's why we use jigs of many sorts. If your cuts are precise and your jigs are well engineered and built, then there's no need for eyeballing. You have already stated that your alignment is off, if your happy with that then so be it. I can tell you that I personally would not be happy with it. Now I know you're just getting started so please don't take my criticism as mean spirited. In your previous Celtic knot thread several of us told you absolutely everything you need to know to create a good knot. There's wealth of info there, if you follow all those tips, no doubt you will be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

duderubble

Well the top one was first. I used a jig on it (albeit a simple alignment jig. Didn't work very well. The bottom one was second and I eyeballed that one and it looks pretty good to me. Truth is there is so much else I want to do that I really at this point am not going to spend hours building jigs that only do one thing. Celtic knots are cool or I wouldn't have tried them. But as you pointed out there are lots of people doing them and doing them well. I'm taking the things I'm learning along the way and trying a lot of different things right now. Maybe someday I'll want to make dozens of celtic knots instead of just three and I'll build the jigs. More than likely I'll eventually do things less common than Celtic knots. It's a good learning tool and probably could occupy a person for years if they wanted to focus on it. I just wanted to play with it for awhile.

jttheclockman

Well the top one was first. I used a jig on it (albeit a simple alignment jig. Didn't work very well. The bottom one was second and I eyeballed that one and it looks pretty good to me. Truth is there is so much else I want to do that I really at this point am not going to spend hours building jigs that only do one thing. Celtic knots are cool or I wouldn't have tried them. But as you pointed out there are lots of people doing them and doing them well. I'm taking the things I'm learning along the way and trying a lot of different things right now. Maybe someday I'll want to make dozens of celtic knots instead of just three and I'll build the jigs. More than likely I'll eventually do things less common than Celtic knots. It's a good learning tool and probably could occupy a person for years if they wanted to focus on it. I just wanted to play with it for awhile.
That is all nice and cozy and all but the fact you do not conquer one thing and jump onto other things and you get nothing done. What you learn from one segmenting project will carry over and will SHOUT this 10000 times jigs are your friend. Make a jig once and perfect it and save it for the rest of your life. Learned this long time ago. That 45, 60, and now 53 degree jig will do so many things and in fact I am using the 60 degree jig on another segment pen that has nothing to do with knots. But have fun and hope you did learn a few things and you always can come back to these threads for refresher courses. Also maybe someone else picked up a few things too. Never know who reads these things and do not replay within the thread. Good luck.

KenB259

That is all nice and cozy and all but the fact you do not conquer one thing and jump onto other things and you get nothing done. What you learn from one segmenting project will carry over and will SHOUT this 10000 times jigs are your friend. Make a jig once and perfect it and save it for the rest of your life. Learned this long time ago. That 45, 60, and now 53 degree jig will do so many things and in fact I am using the 60 degree jig on another segment pen that has nothing to do with knots. But have fun and hope you did learn a few things and you always can come back to these threads for refresher courses. Also maybe someone else picked up a few things too. Never know who reads these things and do not replay within the thread. Good luck.

Good points. I have a segmenting sled/ jig. One of the many designs I can make in it is a Celtic knot. I don't have a dedicated Celtic knot jig.
I make these on the same jig I make Celtic knots with. View attachment 240478

Richard92

Segmenting takes precision and attention to detail. That's why we use jigs of many sorts. If your cuts are precise and your jigs are well engineered and built, then there's no need for eyeballing. You have already stated that your alignment is off, if your happy with that then so be it. I can tell you that I personally would not be happy with it. Now I know you're just getting started so please don't take my criticism as mean spirited. In your previous Celtic knot thread several of us told you absolutely everything you need to know to create a good knot. There's wealth of info there, if you follow all those tips, no doubt you will be successful.

I have tried in vain to find the information to produce a Celtic knot with the infill shown at the beginning of this thread. I was hoping you may be able to steer me in the right direction.
Thank you

Top Bottom