Thanks Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

Thanks for steering me to GluBoost. I've used it a couple of times already...and it's the best CA finish I've done so far!
The first picture is a stabilized colored brown Box Elder (WXST16) from PSI, I think. It will be a Dura Click EDC Aluminum, after letting it sit overnight.
The second is stabilized green Maple Burl (WXST03) also on a Dura Click EDC, Brass.
IMG_1025.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 91
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I hesitated because of the cost, but now that I've tried it, I'm hooked. It's probably cheaper in the long run with less waste and definitely less frustrating.
My sentiments EXACTLY! When we first got GluBoost, I had to be sold on the economics of it--I am intrinsically CHEAP!
After using it, I realize my pens are worth significantly more, using significantly LESS time. So, I also am "hooked".
Glad you all have found the product to be worth the price!!

Gary, Thanks for the thread!!!

Fine Engineer

How does GluBoost compare to the Stick Fast line? I'm pretty new to this, so the Stick Fast is all I've used so far, but my finishes have come out great with that. Is GluBoost comparable or better?

penicillin

How does GluBoost compare to the Stick Fast line? I'm pretty new to this, so the Stick Fast is all I've used so far, but my finishes have come out great with that. Is GluBoost comparable or better?
I started with StickFast for pen finishes. I switched to GluBoost. The GluBoost is easier to apply and looked more crystalline and sparkly. I won't go back. GluBoost is good stuff. I highly recommend it for pen finishes.

grebmar

I'm still a beginner at this, but I started with Stickfast which worked fine, then moved to Mercury, which had many problems with fogging and cracking. I tried Gluboost and I will stick with it, since it takes two coats of thin and four of medium, followed by 0000 stell wool and dry micromesh. The other CAs would take twice that, at least. I do want to try PensPlus, but GluBoost is certainly worth the extra money.

Fine Engineer

I'm still a beginner at this, but I started with Stickfast which worked fine, then moved to Mercury, which had many problems with fogging and cracking. I tried Gluboost and I will stick with it, since it takes two coats of thin and four of medium, followed by 0000 stell wool and dry micromesh. The other CAs would take twice that, at least. I do want to try PensPlus, but GluBoost is certainly worth the extra money.
Thanks for that. I might need to get some of that and just use the Stick Fast for glue work.
I also will be trying Pens Plus. I have a bottle of it, just haven't tried it yet.

Jeff

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have used all kinds of CA over 16 years. Most did well but I did try Stickfast about 3 or 4 years ago and got the cracking finish from it. If you do a search for cracking finish, you will find StickFast in the same paragraph. StickFast works well enough that it has its adherents, but it is the one that has more cracking finishes.

CA's in general are for adhesion/gluing, only we (most pen makers) just use it as a good protectorant and finish. I may be incorrect but it seems that I read a couple of places that GlueBoost was designed for its "finish" properties from the beginning.

Fine Engineer

I have used all kinds of CA over 16 years. Most did well but I did try Stickfast about 3 or 4 years ago and got the cracking finish from it. If you do a search for cracking finish, you will find StickFast in the same paragraph. StickFast works well enough that it has its adherents, but it is the one that has more cracking finishes.

CA's in general are for adhesion/gluing, only we (most pen makers) just use it as a good protectorant and finish. I may be incorrect but it seems that I read a couple of places that GlueBoost was designed for its "finish" properties from the beginning.
Thanks for the explanation, Hank. Now is the cracking an immediate thing or is that over time? I haven't had any crack while making or assembling, but my first pen was only in December, so it's only 2 months old, but it hasn't cracked yet.

Jeff

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mine occurred within two or thee days after finishing. They had not been used, just laying on a desk, waiting for me to give them away to a couple of friends. They were OK for 24 to 48 hours; not in direct sun, in a home environment.

cseymour

Hello all,
I do use GluBoost and as others have stated, it is very easy to apply with great, consistent results.
For the folks mentioning Pens Plus -- I also use this, but just be aware it is not a CA finish, but more of a friction polish (shellac, walnut oil, DNA).
I have found both finishes work extremely well, in addition when I use Pens Plus I will topcoat it with a walnut oil wax (also from Doctor's Woodshop)
Both produce great finishes.
Hope this helps

walko789

Mine occurred within two or thee days after finishing. They had not been used, just laying on a desk, waiting for me to give them away to a couple of friends. They were OK for 24 to 48 hours; not in direct sun, in a home environment.
Thank goodness I found this post! While I am new to turning (a year or so) I have not had any issues using Titebond until about 2 months ago. One pen showed a fogged spot right before the final micromesh. It was stabilized redwood so I sanded back down to wood, applied 2 thin, 8 medium Titebond, micromesh, polish and perfect pen finish. Last month it seemed to start happening more often. Started noticing some fogged spots so I got bit analytical- tried with accelerant, without accelerant, waiting a bit of time, waiting hours between coats, tried Super-T CA etc. and could find not seem to find a pattern. Kept an eye on humidity- very stable in Colorado and I keep the humidity around 25-30% in the house. I finished a beautify blank last week and let it set for a few days before assembly on Friday- it was perfect. Today I took it out and - fogged areas. grrrrr. Glad it is no just me. Looks like I am going to go over to GluBoost and give it a try. Sorry for the flash- in the circled area, at the top is the unfogged high gloss, and in the bottom part of the circled area (slight color variation) the fogging.

Attachments

• Classic Elite II Gun metal and gold Beartooth WoodAlumilite Amalgam blank 1  edit.JPG
    Classic Elite II Gun metal and gold Beartooth WoodAlumilite Amalgam blank 1 edit.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 73

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank goodness I found this post! While I am new to turning (a year or so) I have not had any issues using Titebond until about 2 months ago. One pen showed a fogged spot right before the final micromesh. It was stabilized redwood so I sanded back down to wood, applied 2 thin, 8 medium Titebond, micromesh, polish and perfect pen finish. Last month it seemed to start happening more often. Started noticing some fogged spots so I got bit analytical- tried with accelerant, without accelerant, waiting a bit of time, waiting hours between coats, tried Super-T CA etc. and could find not seem to find a pattern. Kept an eye on humidity- very stable in Colorado and I keep the humidity around 25-30% in the house. I finished a beautify blank last week and let it set for a few days before assembly on Friday- it was perfect. Today I took it out and - fogged areas. grrrrr. Glad it is no just me. Looks like I am going to go over to GluBoost and give it a try. Sorry for the flash- in the circled area, at the top is the unfogged high gloss, and in the bottom part of the circled area (slight color variation) the fogging.
Fog is usually the result of accelerator, or wet sanding in certain conditions, particularly on the wood. Don't wet sand wood, it will retain moisture for sure, even if it is stabilized. Sometimes in high ambient humidity situations - it occurs too. Green wood, even air dried, can do that also.

Top Bottom