Thank you George!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Trey

Trey

Here are a couple pens that I have finally managed to make from some of my winnings in one of the earlier Mr. Anonymous games. The first is an Americana rollerball wrapped in Majestic Olive, while the second is by far my favorite wood that I have turned so far, which is Colonial Gum Burl, wrapped around a Sedona rollerball. Both are from George's stash.
photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Questions and comments are always welcome!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Trey

Thanks Dan. I was disparing of getting any commentary at all. I know the photography leaves quite a bit to be desired.

wyone

Trey

If you are like me, you treasure the blanks from George and only use them on special projects. I have made a few, but still save the best for when my skills improve. Although I have noticed that using his blanks has helped my skill level. I guess it is a quality of the materials thing. :) :)

Great work BTW.. love both.. I think the photography is OK. I edit all of mine now using PicMonkey online photo editing. It is free and does everything I need for right now.

robutacion

Here are a couple pens that I have finally managed to make from some of my winnings in one of the earlier Mr. Anonymous games. The first is an Americana rollerball wrapped in Majestic Olive, while the second is by far my favorite wood that I have turned so far, which is Colonial Gum Burl, wrapped around a Sedona rollerball. Both are from George's stash.
View attachment 124800

View attachment 124801

Questions and comments are always welcome!

G'day Trey,

Thank you for showing us the pens you made with my blanks...!

You have done a great job with both, your finish is quite good. Is quite strange that, not many people use my n#9 Colonial Red gum burl, either in raw or Resifill form, the wood has some striking colours and cuts like butter.

I understand how some of you may see my blanks as "treasures" and that makes me feel proud of what I do however, they are only pen blanks and were made to become a pen, something that I'm always looking for, to see done sooner rather than later. However, I understand and agreed that, you wait a little to feel confident to handle them some of which, are well known to be very demanding but, offer some spectacular results, no doubt...!

Take your time but, don't be scared to try, you built your confidence by testing your own capabilities and skill and all of a certain, you feel confident to tackle even the more difficult blanks. The worse possible scenario is, you destroy the blank and get very upset however, in the scale of things, its only a pen blank that can always be replaced, is not the end of the world nor you go bankrupted as a result...!:wink::biggrin:

Be brave, challenge yourself, you won't regret it...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mitch and Trey:

I was given this procedure:

1) Drill the blank slowly (George's or otherwise). 2) Flood the inside of the blank with thin CA and let sit for 24-48 hr to stabilize the very inside wood next to the tube. 3) redrill the blank to get any excess CA build-up out. 4) If translucent, paint the inside of the BLANK an appropriate background color (Not the tube - glue would still show). 5) Glue in the tube. 6) begin turning the blank by rounding the edges, and working slowly towards the middle. 6) Apply CA thin if you think the blank is weak. 7) take your time! 8) HAVE FUN! As George says... it's only a piece of timber!

This is a compilation of several folks' suggestions for... beautiful, but "testy" blanks.

Trey

Thanks Mitch. I tend to agree that I save George's blanks for when I believe my skill warrants something special, or I'm feeling particularly uppity.

George, Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm trying to be the best I can be with the limited amount of time I have, and the even more limited budget I operate under. That's why winning some of your blanks was such a coup for me, and I treasure each of them as they are not just 'practice' blanks.

Mark. That's similar to the procedure I use, but I have never heard of stabilizing the inside of a blank with thin CA before actually turning it. That's a great idea to avoid those pesky chip outs when you get close to the tube!

One way or the other I am definitely having fun and will continue to challenge myself to be the best I can be on every piece.
Thanks all!

Top Bottom