Tears in bowls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

Got a couple questions. Most of you know I haven't done many bowls. I'm working on a cocobolo bowl, fairly large for me. Finished it's going to be something like 10 x 3.75. Anyway, inside deep curve, while working an area near a knot, I bit and tore. Tool was sharp, angle was bad and I think that might be why I didn't have perfect control.

Anyway, the walls of the bowl are too thin to work it out, is there a way to fill it in without looking too bad? What do you folks use?

Also any hints on working knots to avoid catches?

Thanks, and I'm actually done cutting. Tomorrow I'll sand it, and try to finish it.

Thanks,
Bob

lorbay

Bob, I turn a lot of bowls and I fill plenty of knots as well. I always use med or thick CA and some times have to colour it with the same colour of sanding dust to match. Usually sands out very nicely.

Lin.

wb7whi

Finishing this wood was a learning process. Never had a problem with pens but my first cocobollo bowl I put a coat of varnish on and it never set up. Eventually had to take it all off. Put on a couple coats of spray shallac then varnished it and it worked out fine. Oily wood.

Top Bottom