Tambour mantle clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

I recently got an order for a clock from my sister in law. She specified a mechanical movement and cocobolo. I installed a Hermle triple chime movement and made the case from laminated cocobolo. There is no veneer in the clock. I hollowed the inside by cutting each layer prior to assembly. Finish is tung oil hand rubbed to b ring out the low gloss.
The clock came out beautifully and she was very pleased.

Completed clock 1.jpg Completed clock 2.jpg Door open completed clock.jpg Back of completed clock.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Very nice!
someone is going to be happy :)

Someone IS very happy. She has sent me two cards of thanks and "giggles". She says everytime she looks at it or hears the chime she giggles and feels blissful.

Wow do I feel special for that. :):):):)

Thanks everyone for the comments. I had a great time making this. I kept looking forward to seeing the finished product and hearing the clock work.

Larry

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Ah love to see clocks!!!!!! Job very well done all around. Great choice of movement and bezel. Looks great and I am sure it will get well used over time:) Thanks for showing.

SDB777

The clock face very much resembles the one on the parents grandfather clock made by my great-grandfather in the early 70's. Was wondering where you purchase the mechincals?

Workmanship = A+
Stunning piece that she'll enjoy for a long long time!!!!

Scott (you just gave me some memories from long ago) B

ldubia

Was wondering where you purchase the mechanicals?

The movement and face came from Bifano clockworks.
He was VERY helpful in giving directions and information to help me through this. This was my first attempt a clock with a mechanical movement. Had a lot of fun making it although was unsure a few times I knew what I was doing. Learning is a good thing. I learned a LOT on this one.

Again, thanks all for looking and commenting. I am very proud of this one.

Larry

ldubia

That's beautiful, Larry. This certainly doesn't look like a first... or a last!

Thanks David.

This was a first without using a kit. And I have never used a mechanical movement. As for last...no way. They have to be orders though as the movements are around $400. Too much to have laying around out of pocket.

By the way, the last 1 or 2 boxes are getting close. I am looking for a really spectacular piece for you.

Larry

jttheclockman

Hello Larry

Are these your designs you are making or are you looking at photos for ideas??? The reason I ask is if you are designing them and now this is just a suggestion, you may want to stretch out the sides abit more and get creative. The reason for this is because this is a mantle clock and the face you are using is rather large compared to the surounding wood. To accent the wood more is to show more. It would look more sleek instead of boxy. Now this is just a thought. There are many shapes out there including ones with scrolls and what I call roofs or tops. Very nice work and love the wood. Thanks for showing.

ldubia

suggestions

Hello Larry

Are these your designs you are making or are you looking at photos for ideas??? The reason I ask is if you are designing them and now this is just a suggestion, you may want to stretch out the sides a bit more and get creative. The reason for this is because this is a mantle clock and the face you are using is rather large compared to the surrounding wood. To accent the wood more is to show more. It would look more sleek instead of boxy. Now this is just a thought. There are many shapes out there including ones with scrolls and what I call roofs or tops. Very nice work and love the wood. Thanks for showing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I always try to listen to others to see what they might offer. Those are great words from someone who obviously knows a little something. Stretching out the wood sides is a fabulous idea and one I will use for the next clock. I had already cut out the initial parts and got the clock face after. This was only my first clcok to make from scratch. Fun though I was concerned over my abilities. I have done kits but nothing quite like this one. Usually they are veneers. I like the solid wood look better.

Larry

titan2

What model of Hermle Movement and Gong Unit did you use? I didn't see anything for Mantle units....only Grandfather Clocks.

BTW.....beautiful clock!

Barney

ldubia

What model of Hermle Movement and Gong Unit did you use? I didn't see anything for Mantle units....only Grandfather Clocks.

BTW.....beautiful clock!

Barney

The gong unit came with the movement kit I bought. It is eight brass rods that hang below the movement. The hammers had to be bent to align with the gong unit to make it work right. The movement can be found under the movement kits section. It is the Hermle 1051 kit and includes the face, hands, gong unit, and movement, and bezel with domed glass.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Larry

Top Bottom