First Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

This is my first real attempt at a bowl, I found out it is tough to turn a bowl with pen tools. Any ways this is some mesquite burl that I found in a ditch last weekend and drug it home. I left some of the rough stuff on it other wise it was not big enough for a bowl blank. I stabilized the bark area with thin CA before turning I also found a ton of worm holes. I sanded it smooth then applied a BLO/CA finish, it will be a coin catcher.
Any Comments or tips welcome, Thanks for looking. :biggrin:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• bowl 001_2_3_4_fused.jpg
    bowl 001_2_3_4_fused.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 404
  • bowl 005_6_7_fused.jpg
    bowl 005_6_7_fused.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 390
  • bowl 012_1_0_fused.jpg
    bowl 012_1_0_fused.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 384
  • bowl 013_4_5_6_fused.jpg
    bowl 013_4_5_6_fused.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 417
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Max, mesquite in NV? but anyways beautiful work,nice find and save. BTW, how did you manage to have a large horizontal post with Horizontal pic next to each other like that? Unless you have a 36" screen hooked to your comp?

W.Y.

Real nice first bowl and beautiful wood.
I have never turned anything in mesquite . Never seen a piece in my hand but love seeing it in finished projects like that.
A friend from way down southern USA is going to be sending me some mesquite once he gets it cut and packaged just for the price of postage.
I am really looking forward to that and hope it is half as nice as the piece you turned.
I have heard that it is one of the few woods that can be turned right from green to finish without any warping or cracking.

robutacion

Humm, not bad, not bad at all, even tough I're reckon finishing a bowl with BLO/CA would be a B!@$...!:eek:

If I hadn't seen the top of the bowl, I could swear that the wood was Australian SA Black Wattle, my #16 on the list, all the pics shown from the bowls under wood are exactly what my #16 look like, apart from maybe that resin pocket!

Practice, practice my friend, it will help a bit..., well..., a lot...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Tony Pridmore

Well done, Maxman! You really should be proud of that one. It's one of the toughest shapes to turn with the straight sides and flat bottom. As already mentioned, you chose one of the more difficult finishes for a bowl.

Sign it, maybe number it as some do, and hang on to it.

FrankG

Very well done for a first bowl. It should only get easier; those straight sided bowls are harder to turn than more traditional shapes.

Real nice first bowl and beautiful wood.
I have never turned anything in mesquite . Never seen a piece in my hand but love seeing it in finished projects like that.
A friend from way down southern USA is going to be sending me some mesquite once he gets it cut and packaged just for the price of postage.
I am really looking forward to that and hope it is half as nice as the piece you turned.
I have heard that it is one of the few woods that can be turned right from green to finish without any warping or cracking.

Of course, the bowl you're looking at is burl; regular mesquite looks a little different, but is still a beautiful wood.

Although mesquite is highly touted as "the most stable wood around," it will definitely crack, especially around the pith - but the cracks will be smaller and more manageable than most other woods.

Top Bottom