Taking wood off barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

Hi all

I decided to disassemble some older pens I had put together that just didn't look great. I have them fully disassembled outside of taking the wood off the barrel. Any suggestions on how to do this? Just turn it all the way down? Or is there a chemical way to do it? I saw someone say to soak them in acetone, which I tried to no avail.

thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

This is just me so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't reuse tubes.
I'm in the same boat as Ken. I know most companies sell generic length tubes, or exact replacement tubes for kits. May be easier on you to buy a replacement tube.

KenB259

I'm in the same boat as Ken. I know most companies sell generic length tubes, or exact replacement tubes for kits. May be easier on you to buy a replacement tube.
I just feel once hardware has been pressed into it and then reassembled, it might not fit as tight. Tubes are so cheap and I always buy extra with kits. I like to have them on hand.

Jmaxcy

I just feel once hardware has been pressed into it and then reassembled, it might not fit as tight. Tubes are so cheap and I always buy extra with kits. I like to have them on hand.
I see. Where do you get your barrels? I have three executive twists from Rockler I took apart and I can't seem to find just the barrels. Also 2 cigar kits from legacy. Can find barrels on that but have to pay $5 to get them shipped, painful.

jttheclockman

You can turn it off and get some practice. When assembling again use some blue loctite if you think the parts slip in too loosly. Nothing wrong with doing this. Or you can order extra tubes for any kits that you use. I like to always have some extra tubes around for all the kits I tend to use alot. It is good practice as well as having an extra set of bushings for those kits. You will learn. Good luck.

RobS

I see. Where do you get your barrels? I have three executive twists from Rockler I took apart and I can't seem to find just the barrels. Also 2 cigar kits from legacy. Can find barrels on that but have to pay $5 to get them shipped, painful.

The executive is a penn state industries kit, see link above for replacement tubes $3 for 5

KenB259

You should be able to get them wherever you buy the kits. I buy some in the 10 inch lengths too, most of the time they'll work, but not always. Again they are cheap, so there's not a lot of money invested. Also you have to be very careful if you decide to turn the wood off. If you're using bushings to hold it or TBC, you can nick the bushings or a dead center pretty easily. If using carbide, you can also ruin a carbide insert if you nick a bushing at just the right angle, don't ask how I know.

magpens

@Jmaxcy

Next time you are ordering pen kits and supplies, you might want to order some 10-inch lengths of the tube size you need for your kits.

Using those requires, of course, that you have the capability to cut and trim brass tubes to the right length for your pen.
You would also need calipers to measure the length as you trim.

Those 10-inch lengths are available in diameters to suit most pen kits.
For example, you can find such tubing at PSI ( they have a fairly complete selection, other vendors do also ... ExoticBlanks )

Actually, PSI does have other sizes. . For example, here are the 10-inch tubes with 3/8" diameter. . Just search their website using key words.

ExoticBlanks carries 10-inch tubing in all the usual sizes - I just checked.

Last edited:

Jmaxcy

@Jmaxcy

There is a Rockler store in Pittsburgh ... perhaps it is close enough to you that you could go there to get replacement tubes for Executive.
Phone first to check if available.

Located in: Robinson Town Center
Address: 2000 Park Manor Blvd Suite 006-B, Pittsburgh, PA 15205, United States

Phone: +1 412-364-7751
Thank you, I checked rockler and they don't have these tubes. PSI does but I'd have to pay shipping of $9

Jmaxcy

@Jmaxcy

Next time you are ordering pen kits and supplies, you might want to order some 10-inch lengths of the tube size you need for your kits.

Using those requires, of course, that you have the capability to cut and trim brass tubes to the right length for your pen.
You would also need calipers to measure the length as you trim.

Those 10-inch lengths are available in diameters to suit most pen kits.
For example, you can find such tubing at PSI ( they have a fairly complete selection, other vendors do also ... ExoticBlanks )

Actually, PSI does have other sizes. . For example, here are the 10-inch tubes with 3/8" diameter. . Just search their website using key words.

ExoticBlanks carries 10-inch tubing in all the usual sizes - I just checked.
I have a mitre saw, assuming that would be enough to cut these tubes to length? If so I might just get two of these packs and keep them as back up.

magpens

Well, for this time around, you may have to do as you initially started this thread .... turn the wood off to recycle your tubes.

But for the future, keep in mind that spare tubes are available.

Maybe there is a store near you, besides Rockler, that sells pen kits and parts. . Do some searching on Google, or another member might know.

Jmaxcy

Well, for this time around, you may have to do as you initially started this thread .... turn the wood off to recycle your tubes.

But for the future, keep in mind that spare tubes are available.

Maybe there is a store near you, besides Rockler, that sells pen kits and parts. . Do some searching on Google, or another member might know.
Thanks for the help. I liked the idea of getting them in 10 in pieces. I have a mitre saw, is there anything else I would need to cut to length?

magpens

I think a miter saw could be used to cut brass tubing. . You can also cut on your wood lathe if you have a suitable cutting tool ( not ones for turning).

You would have to be extremely careful using the miter saw.

magpens

With the miter saw it would be difficult to cut to the EXACT length required ( which is quite critical, espec. for ballpoint pens ).
You would cut to a close length and then, on your lathe, trim to the "exact" length using your lathe cutting tools ( gouge or skew ... carefully !!! )
You'd need calipers to measure the length ... trim a bit ... measure ... trim a bit more ... measure ...... repeat until you get the "exact" length.
For your lathe you would need a head stock chuck which can grip the tubing .... not all chucks will go down to such small diameters .

RobS

I have a mitre saw, assuming that would be enough to cut these tubes to length? If so I might just get two of these packs and keep them as back up.
I cut long using a dremel disk, I glue everything up. Then I use @rherrell offset sanding jig to square and trim up the tube at the same time.

penicillin

For me, having spare pen tubes on hand takes away a lot of the stress of pen turning. Spare tubes are so inexpensive compared with anything else, it is easy to get out a new tube and start over.

I recommend it especially for beginners. Being tense at the lathe can result in catches and chip-outs. Having spare pen tubes on hand helps them relax as they turn the pen.

Top Bottom