Supplier suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I am going to order my metal lathe (microlux) and would like to get some recommendations on supplies and suppliers. I am looking for bar stock, aluminum, etc for some practice work and steel to make trim sleeves, bushings, etc. Any suggestions on sources, metal grades would be very helpful. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

I recently bought some raw materials for my new metal lathe. I just ordered from one of the first few places I found in a search....maybe it will work for you Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com

What I found with them is the speed of delivery seems to depend on the type of metal you order. I bought some tool steel as well as brass, aluminum, and delrin rods. The tool steel arrived in a couple days but it was a week for the brass and aluminum. I think they had the different items dropped shipped from different sources.

I've also ordered a few things from Enco...they are always really fast in delivery to my location but there prices for the metal rods was a bit higher so that's why I looked for other sources.

Edit: You know when I pasted that link it was really short. www . onlinemetals . com

Last edited:

jd99

I would look for a local metal or industrial supplier, and check out their rem pile if the have one.

We have a few here where I am and it's quite a bit cheaper then going online, or to a big box store.

If you want an easy machining steel to practice with I would suggest a Ledloy type "12L14" or something in that family. It's easy machining and easy on your tooling.

Haynie

I'd go looking for scrap to practice with. There has to be a scrap yard near you.

I would also do my best to source local before ordering. If there is a place that sells metal near you ask about drops (off cuts). I am lucky to have a very well stocked scrap yard and metal dealer near me. My wife is not happy about that but I sure am.

me-"Honey look what I found at the scrap yard!"
her- "what are you planning to do with it?"
me- "I don't know, but look how cool it is!"

Top Bottom