Mini Review Sumo Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

heinedan

I have been having problems with epoxy lately, after I'm done turning and take the busihings out, the tube has come with them more often than I am comfortable with. I sanded the tubes and left them overnight or longer to cure. So, I was in a store recently and saw a bottle of Sumo glue. Made by loctite. Thought I would give it a try.

I have had no more problems with tubes coming out since switching. It is an expanding glue, so I keep a sharp knife on my bench to pare away the excess before starting, and it works great. Cures in a couple of hours and works well with wood, acrylic and PR.

I just wanted to share my new found "tool". I use a small, disposable brush about 1/4 inch wide to paint it onto the tubes. The brushes are about 10.00 for 50 at Woodcraft.

Good Luck and Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xch...000022W&redDotUID=000000022W&brand=0000000GZK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

Thanks for the review. I have seen it recently in my hardware store and thought of trying it, but didn't want to spend money on yet another glue if I knew nothing about it.

dankc908

Thanks for the review. I've seen this advertised and had been wondering. I've been using Gorilla glue (clear) but had problems with the tubes pushing out of the blank. Last group I clamped and that solved that issue. The Sumo looks interesting as well!

Randy_

I have been having problems with epoxy lately, after I'm done turning and take the busihings out.....

Gotta believe you had bad glue or there is something wrong with your technique. I've used various epoxies for years and never had a tube come out. The big complaint with epoxy is the overnight cure time and people deal with that by using the fast cure epoxies.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I know it's not a new thread, but I thought I'd add a little to it.
I like the Sumo for the expansion properties, and a clamp does solve
any movement problem. (a piece of wax paper keeps the glue off of
the clamp, too)
But I've also found that it works well with powdered pigments for those
blanks (PR, Alumilite) that need painting on the inside, too. I have a starter
set of pastel sticks I picked up at a flea market. I used to scrape off some
of the chalk dust and color my CA with that when gluing in the tubes. But
the CA set up fast.. had to switch to the gel. But with the Sumo, I've got
much more open time so I can match colors pretty well.

This weekend I used it with some fluorescent orange powder as a filler for the
outside of a 3D blank. Worked like a charm as a filler, it turns and sands well.
I just wish it wasn't so porous when it expanded..

Top Bottom