Suggestions for fixing a bent clip??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
A customer brought me his long clicker pen which slips out of his pocket. The clip is bent slightly out from repeatedly being put in and removing it from his pocket. The clip is tight under the click mechanism and will not rotate. I have not been successful in removing this style mechanism without destroying it. Anyone have a suggestion for a way to tighten the clip on a CSUSA long clicker pen?

jttheclockman

Well this method has been used for probably as long as pens with clips have been made. You need some sort of wedge and should be something like a piece of wood dowel or something like that so it does not mar the wood blank. It has to be able to fit under the clip close to the cap (top portion of clip) That is the wedge. Now that should lift the lower section of the clip up some. Now gently press down on this end to put a bend in the clip. This may take a few tries and you will see right away what you need to do to get it to bend. If it does not want to bend you can put some tape around the legs of a pair of needle nose pliers and use that. The tape should prevent maring. remember these are basically spring steel so it may take some more wedge than you think but you will get the idea once you see the action. We have been using that method for a long time as well as many others. if the clip is a straight one then now it has a bow in it. No big deal. If it is a bowed one then now the bow is slightly larger. Again no big deal. Short of taking apart that is the only method I know. Good luck.

SteveG

I have used John's suggestion a number of times, and it worked well. As long as the clip attachment remains tight to the pen (as you indicated it is), you should be successful. I will just add one additional suggestion. The technique can sometimes be applied at a few places along the length of the clip with the goal of introducing the new bend, or curve in more than one place. This would be primarily for the aesthetics of the end result. The idea would be to tread lightly, since if you overdo, you may have lost the opportunity for a good looking fix. To use a technical phrase, "sneak up on" the desired outcome.

Top Bottom