Struggling with spectraply

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eteska

Second attempt at turning spectraply. Both times ended with the same result. Looking for some advice.
IMG_1976.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gersh

Whenever I have issues it almost always comes down to 1 of three things

1. My tool is not sharp enough
2. I'm rushing and taking to heavy of a cut
3. An issue with out of round blanks (hole not drilled properly/bent mandrel/or barrel not trimmed properly)

My guess would be 1 or 2 as number 3 is an infrequent occurrence. I know it's not much help but that is where I'd start

jttheclockman

Couple things and this is from someone who hates CA as an adhesive. Forget using CA of any kind for gluing tubes in. The reason are obvious and there are those who disagree but I do not care. Gaps. CA will never fill gaps and I do not care if you use the thickest CA. You will always have gaps when drilling because you have to be able to slide the tube in. Second point is CA is brittle. Will not flex with the wood yes even if you use flexible CA which would be a waste of money on gluing tubes in because it cost more. I suggest an epoxy. Many have used gorilla glue but that gets messy. But can be used.

From your photo I do not see any glue on this at all where it broke. Maybe the photo or my eyes are going bad. Need to use liberal amount of glue and get tube in fast if using 5 min epoxy because it sets in 5 min. Does not cure but sets. Here is a valid point to remember. Just because a glue sets does not mean it is cured. I suggest you let set 24 hours or at least 12 with 5 min epoxy. Read label.

Next spectraply is made with layers of plywood and glued together under heat and pressure. When you spin spectraply you have many many edges exposed that are held together with glue only. The smaller the diameter of the blank the less holding power. This is where technique comes into play. You need a light touch with your tools and if you dig in on any one of those layers you get blowout. I suggest a good skew or at least a carbide round cutter head. Present your tool properly and you will avoid those blowouts. From my point of view and that photo one of the 2 things happened. Also one more point and this goes for turning all blanks. Go from end to center and not center to end with tool. The material needs more support the thinner it gets. That is the proper way to turn a pen blank. Good luck and you will get the hang of it.

randyrls

Look closely at the inside of the blank and the brass tube. Is the glue on one or the other? Poor bond.
With some plywoods the ends tend to splinter and chip. Dip the blank ends in thin CA to seal and strengthen the ends.

eteska

Thx for all the suggestions. I'm thinking multiple causes. Poor glue up. This was the last of four blanks I as trying to rush though on one batch of the 5 min epoxy. Also I probably was taking to heavy of a cut. Third I know I was working from the center to the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Woodchipper

I watched a video by Ed on Exotic Blanks. He inserts one end with CA in the blank, reverses and inserts the tube fully into the blank. Seems to help the spread of the CA glue. I do have to agree somewhat with John T.
FWIW, I had 5 minute epoxy with the first fishing rod I built. Almost didn't get the grip on! Went to a 30 minute epoxy- Two Ton epoxy, to be exact. Easier on the nerves.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would estimate you have 30 pieces of wood that broke in order for that blank to end up the way it looks.
I fail to understand how your adhesive would matter. Having done that same kind of break many times, I would say you were not paying attention and you hit the blank with your tool, probably as you were repositioning yourself for the rest of the turning.

IF you had just hit a corner as you turned, it is highly likely the wood would break on it's glue line, not break in half.

I always doubt the "CA did it", having turned a few thousand pens with CA.

FWIW,
Ed

Top Bottom