Stress drying Black and White Ebony to see if it is going to crack.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

I recently received a batch of Black and White Ebony pen blanks that are 100% waxed. For what it's worth, my moisture meter reads around 8% and I don't know how long ago they were cut and waxed nor what their previous storage condition was, so my question:

If I drill and turn one or two of them, is there anything I can do to force them to dry more or faster to determine how prone to cracking they might be if I made pens from them without waiting several months to take another moisture reading to see if it has changed at all? I thought perhaps drilling and turning and then baking them in a toaster oven or a microwave???

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions and suggestions.

Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

my preference is to remove wax, weigh and wait. You may put cracks in it that would never happen otherwise. B/W ebony is much less likely to crack than any other type I have worked with. I have stabilized it successfully in the past. If your meter is correct it was dried and then waxed.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I do use a microwave for drying on occasion but I have had a lot of experience with it, and my experience is totally subjective. Brittle wood will crack quickly if not done properly. I don't have a specific formula but go on feel/estimate only. I usually go 20 to 30 seconds and wait 10 minutes or so most of the time, but for known brittle woods, I reduce the microwaving time by 50%. I need to clarify that I have a 1200W microwave and 800W to 1000W are considerable lower power and less quick in their heating, which is better.

I don't have any green ebony like woods or other green imported woods, but have lots of pear which is quite brittle. I only use the microwave for real green wood that has been cut in the previous 3 or 4 months.

An oven at 120°, or 140° max would be a better environment, and it will be more like a natural environment that the wood is more likely to encounter.

egnald

Thank you to all who have commented. My supplier came back to me on an inquiry and said he has had the wood in his possession for 2-1/2 years and he confirmed my moisture measurement of 8%. Considering the time it has been stored and the comments from all about Black and White Ebony in particular has put my mind ad ease as far as how soon I can start to use it. - Thanks everyone, Dave

Top Bottom