Street Organ how it works video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodman928

woodman928

I have had so many question about the Organ and how it works that I thought I would try another video (this is starting to get fun now) Its unedited as I'm still trying to figure all of that out so bear with me.
Hope this answers alot of the questions.

Will try to get a video of the Organ you see behind me to my right its the big one and the one that Freddie (edman2) wants to hear.

Jay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSNAypbWe0g

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

That was amazing Jay. Thanks for that video. If I understand it correctly the paper shuts/opens the pressure, it really surprises me that the paper is strong enough to do that and also withstand the forces of being wound from reel to reel. Wonderful craftsmanship.

ahoiberg

jay, that's one of the coolest things i've ever seen. what a wonderful thing. our world would be a better place if we all had a street organ in our living room. do you have multiple 'song rolls' for it? i'd love to see some other videos of the other songs. kudos!

i was a little confused by the video explanation about the design, did you build it?

alphageek

Former Moderator
Oh, my goodness.. I havn't wanted to do a brand new project like this more in as long as I can remember.

When I was younger a friend had a player piano... I loved just pumping away at the pedals and watching it go.

I soo want to try this, although I have never done a wood project anywhere near this! The sound is cool and just the thought to have done something like this myself.. You have inspired me (and convinced my wife that I am nuts).

I will definately be emailing you.

les-smith

That is really neat. I wished I had those kind of skills. The organ really looks great. How much does an street organ like that sell for? Great video, good job.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Sell for??? My research shows if you want one built for you - you can find them...... For about $4000!

Precut Kits around $1200ish?

woodman928

Yes I did build it.

It has about 450 part to it and takes in the area of 300hr to build. I make every part of it but the rolls (that will come soon I hope). It was designed by John Smith and plans are available or I will build you one (or yes I will help you build one).

This one is set up to have a conductor in the middle but I am finding out that I CANNOT carve so looking for someone that I can afford, to carve one for me.
I get $3500.00 for a plain one and it goes up from there.

Dean the precut one uses the same rolls as this one but form what I understand you really don't save that much time and building one from scratch is cheaper and they do look a lot better.

I use 1/8" and 1/4" Baltic Birch for the major parts and then what ever is in the shop for the rest.

sdemars

Perhaps . . .

Perhaps you could check out the ShopBot forum . . . I know there are several on there that could easily do your carving & would probably have a great interest in the organ.

Steve

woodman928

Perhaps you could check out the ShopBot forum . . . I know there are several on there that could easily do your carving & would probably have a great interest in the organ.

Steve

Steve what I need is a bandmaster carved out and a CNC wouldn't be able to do it. It needs moving arms and head to work the way I want it to. Its also pretty small its only about 8"-10" tall.

Jay

alphageek

Former Moderator
Jay,

PM sent... (and I'm glad you don't think the precut kits are necessary.. no way that $$ would fly all up front).

I hope you get your bandmaster... I have to believe someone out there can help.

ahoiberg

boy, i just can't stop looking at the youtube videos. the sailors hornpipe is awesome! again jay, this is an absolutely phenomenal creation! kudos to you! how many tunes do you expect to have for it?

woodman928

boy, i just can't stop looking at the youtube videos. the sailors hornpipe is awesome! again jay, this is an absolutely phenomenal creation! kudos to you! how many tunes do you expect to have for it?

Andrew I think I have around 20 right now. I'm working on making a CNC punch so I can make own. There are around 200 rolls out for it right now available from Melvyn Wright in Europe.

Jay

PaulDoug

YOU ARE MY NEW IDOL! I'm probably not good enough to make one, but I think I could play one... I don't understand how you know ho to make the pipes so they are the correct notes.

This is totally awesome. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom