Strait Dope on Nibs...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I've been around here long enough to see them beat a dead horse so bad that the horse reserects itself, only to get beaten again, again & again [:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony, you dog!!

I have avoided this thread after an initial reading and evaluation. BUT, I saw your name and expected some new knowledge.

Shucks, I already knew THAT -Dead horses never buck or bite, so might as well beat them.

(here comes the ASPCA, followed by PETA-uh,oh, better go!!!)

Randy_

Originally posted by Charles
<br />Well, all of the above was fasinating reading, Whew! Also, what other site is griz talking about? I love turning and did not know of a second source for sharing information. Sorry if this wasn't part of the original thread. Just interested.

Since Bob never mentioned any pen forum specifically by name, here are two other forums he might have been referring to?? One is Rich Kleinhenz's site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ .

The other is the home of the Freedom Pen Project(FPP) at
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php

Oh yeah, there is a third group called the Pen Makers Guild. It is an "by invitation only" membership. Non-members may not post; but the discussions are open for all to view and can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PenMakersGuild/ .

Dario

Originally posted by Randy_
One is Rich Kleinhenz's site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ .

Rich Kleinhenz started the yahoo penturners?!?! [:0][:0][:0]

Been dealing with him offline and never knew who he really is. I did saw his site and know he is a PMG member but didn't knew this much!

I am so honored now! [8D][:D][^]

rtjw

<br />
Originally posted by Charles
<br />Well, all of the above was fasinating reading, Whew! Also, what other site is griz talking about? I love turning and did not know of a second source for sharing information. Sorry if this wasn't part of the original thread. Just interested.

Since Bob never mentioned any pen forum specifically by name, here are two other forums he might have been referring to?? One is Rich Kleinhenz's site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ .

The other is the home of the Freedom Pen Project(FPP) at
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php

Oh yeah, there is a third group called the Pen Makers Guild. It is an "by invitation only" membership. Non-members may not post; but the discussions are open for all to view and can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PenMakersGuild/ .

I think he was talking about what site GRIZ was mentioning. But the other groups are also good ones.

Thanks Teal..err I mean Randy[:)]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
One is Rich Kleinhenz's site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ .

Rich Kleinhenz started the yahoo penturners?!?! [:0][:0][:0]

Been dealing with him offline and never knew who he really is. I did saw his site and know he is a PMG member but didn't knew this much!

I am so honored now! [8D][:D][^]

Here is a copy of the first message from Yahoo Penturners search from the home page at this site. The penturners group was part of eGroups before Yahoo bought them out.

Date: 11/16/1999 3:33:00 PM
Subject: [penturners] Welcome to Pen Turners

Hi,

You've expressed interest in a pen turning email list.
Here it is!
I'll be learning how to run this as we go, so I appreciate your patience.
Let's have fun!
Thanks,

Bob Roberts

Regards
Chuckie

Dario

Chuckie,

Thanks, Rich actually informed me via email that he didn't start it. My mistake for assuming it. He is basically runnning it now though being the moderator. My bad.[B)]

woodpens

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Thanks for finding that and posting it.

Brings back a lot of memories. The 4th post to the list was from me.

txbob
Hey Bob,

I haven't seen you for quite a while! I just found my first post on the eGroup was #756 in June 2000. Bob Roberts was indeed the driving force for quite some time. It is funny how little was available to us back then. Five years is a long time in "pen-turner years." [;)]

rwbirt02

Holy Crap...I stand in awe. I thought I was the drama queen of this organization...feeling kind of left out guys. I leave for a couple of days, and you all are already going for a new record of how many posts you can concieve...have we reached a new record for the number of posts in a thread? Next time I think about leaving my computer for a couple of days, I might have to reconsider-I might miss something really important. Holy Crap...

By the way, does anyone in here know what a fountain pen nib is?Javascript:insertsmilie('[8D]')

P.S.
Just for S**ts and Giggles-I don't make a point to actually repair any instrument that comes across my bench...people would start expecting me to know what I'm doing...And I just can't deal with that kind of pressure.Javascript:insertsmilie('[:)]') Yes repairing, and building instruments are two different things with many similarities. Kind of like apples and oranges are both fruit. Good evening gentlemen.

rwbirt02

P.P.S.
I know it's a horrible thing to keep P.S.ing like this, but damned if I don't look forward to seeing an 8th page for this thoroughbred, maybe we could all even send him off to the glue factory to make a few extra bucks for more pen kits...with 14kt nibs of course.('[8D]')

tinker

Originally posted by rwbirt02
<br />P.P.S.
I know it's a horrible thing to keep P.S.ing like this, but damned if I don't look forward to seeing an 8th page for this thoroughbred, maybe we could all even send him off to the glue factory to make a few extra bucks for more pen kits...with 14kt nibs of course.('[8D]')
If you are still reading this Ed, you can make your own bushings with the metal lathe. Make them from a harder material and they will last longer, and you can hold a better tolerance.

As for the rest of you, I don't think I have ever read posts with more paranoria and anger.
Kind of reminds me about the time a visiting engineer told Norman Lear that he heard he was working on an eight track tape player. He went on to tell him he was wasting his time, that it could not be done. Norman said, "I'm glad you didn't tell me that yesterday, because we just did it."

Get off your high horses, there are pens that sell for $20,000.00. Are they really that much better than the kit pens?

I don't think Jeff had this in mind when he started this site. I am amazed he let it go on off topic the way it has. Kind of makes me afraid to ask a question. I wonder about anyone new to the site also. Doubt it is the way t grow the site.

airrat

Monty People for the Eating of Tasty Animals is mine, you stole it. Im going to report you. [:D][:p][}:)]

Here you go Johnson.

200631172843_horse.gif

Ben

Hi yall', It's been a while since I've posted, but I couldn't resist when I read this thread:

The way I see it, your first pen will more likely be about a $1000-$1,500 pen.

$200-$500 for a good lathe set-up.[:0]
$200-$250 for a sharpening sytem and jigs for tools.[:0]
$200 approx. for your drill press and jig setups for drill blanks.[:0]
$200-$500 Band SAW?[:0]
$100-$200 for your finishing products, CA glue, pen kits, mandrels, bushings, sandpaper, pen blanks, merchandising materials, display racks, labling software, ect...[:0]

Best of luck to you. If I were you, I'd check out some of these other guy's websites. Some of the VERY BEST penmakers in this craft are on THIS group; SOME OF THEIR FINEST LIMITED EDITION FOUNTAIN PENS WITH GOLD NIBS and IMPORTED RESINS & WOODS are ONLY SELLING in THE $300 RANGE! I understand that you don't intend on "stepping on any toes" here, but coming right out and saying what you did DOES come across a bit pretentious, and arrogant. Please post those pics as SOON as you can. I like everyone else here would LOVE to see what a $500 kit pen looks like.

200631202840_beating%20the%20horse.gif

Take care,
Ben

lkorn

Originally posted by airrat
<br />Monty People for the Eating of Tasty Animals is mine, you stole it. Im going to report you. [:D][:p][}:)]

Here you go Johnson.

200631172843_horse.gif

The hometown for ugh, PETA is located here in Norfolk VA. We have our own version of their acronym;

People
Embarrasing the
Tidewater (VA)
Area

Daniel

I remember when topics on home stabalizing would look like this thread.
I also seem to recall a conversation about higher end kits. you know those impossibly high priced ones that would run $30 or more. that whole idea was also impossible. it was a conversation full of insults as well. Several times over.
I'm thinking that maybe the only reason the $500 kit pen is not more common. is that the idea still gets treated like this.
can you imagine what the person that introduced the CA finish went through.
Actually it would be interesting to go find some actual quotes from days past about things that are common to penturning today.
It is interesting that those that consider themselves at the top of this craft. got there at blinding speed having learned the craft form groups like this. Really practicing there craft with nothing more than what they have learned here. They will also be the loudest to argue against a new idea. Flaunting there experience along the way. Fresh minds bring fresh ideas. and fresh ideas bring innovation.
We now have a $160 kit. according to my memory I could take you back to the original thread that introduced this idea. it was made on the yahoo group more than two years ago. made by one of the biggest promoter of advancmant in penturning, Richard Kleinhinz (sorry if I butchered your name again Richard) The idea was met fairly readily with all the poohs and gawfs about how kit suppliers would never run the risk when they can make so much money on $2 kits, remember an $8 kit was about as expensive as they got then. there could not be enough quality to justify a kit costing even $30 much less over $100. and on and on. People actually quit the group over these conversations. the next year found the Gent pen on the front page of the CSUSA Cat.
now the whole line of Gent's Statesman, upgraded versions of both of those pens, and the pie in the sky, utterly impossible Emporer are about the only pens worth talking about.
we have a kit that offers a solid gold nib, and have versions in silver. kit suppliers of course are loosing there shorts left and right just as the group members predicted. not
Ed Knock yourself out on that $500 pen. I hope to learn something from you along the way.

huntersilver

My Dos centavos.....

Personally I enjoy selling writing insturments to people at craft shows in the 20-100 range. With all of our beautiful woods and
acryics they are really are quite unique. And my sense is, they are a real gem and bargin for the prices we are selling. We do make beautitful functional pens that are afordable to most individuals.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom