still a few days

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm still offf my feet and cloudy-headed for a bit, so I can't be much help in here for a few days...

Had a few ponderings in my haze, however...

One thing I wanted to ask about is how large we want this bash to be. There's a few directions we can take with prizes:

1) mostly forum members donating prizes, esp. for the trivia contest (which is a real pain from a prize standpoint)...advantage of this is that the forum members have the ability to get in touch with eachother, lessening the load on Ed and Dawn...

2) Lots and lots of prizes, and lots and lots of contests - that's what we did last year, and it was a bit overwhelming for Ed and Dawn, I think. I like the idea of giving out lots of prizes, but too many things going on really thinned out the excitement for each contest.

3) Lot and lots of prizes - but only a few contests. Any superfluous prizes go into a prize drawing.

4) Should we have first, second, and third place winners of contests, or just first place?

Another idea is to have any multiple prize donators, like Alumilite, who want to ship them all out at once, to have all their prizes go into the Donation Drawing...that is, Jeff would make all the drawings for Alumilite products - and then they all get shipped out at the same time. I don't know if Jeff would want the Donation Drawing to be watered down, however...it's usually just the best-of-the-best, eh?

I was thinking that it might be best if the Ed and Dawn had less tasks this year - they did a ridiculous amount of work last year. Maybe they could have a team that helps them, and they become the 'in case of trouble' contacts?

I'm going to stop here, because I'm frankly lightheaded, and I don't know if I'm making much sense... :)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I'm still offf my feet and cloudy-headed for a bit, so I can't be much help in here for a few days...

Had a few ponderings in my haze, however...

One thing I wanted to ask about is how large we want this bash to be. There's a few directions we can take with prizes:

1) mostly forum members donating prizes, esp. for the trivia contest (which is a real pain from a prize standpoint)...advantage of this is that the forum members have the ability to get in touch with eachother, lessening the load on Ed and Dawn...

2) Lots and lots of prizes, and lots and lots of contests - that's what we did last year, and it was a bit overwhelming for Ed and Dawn, I think. I like the idea of giving out lots of prizes, but too many things going on really thinned out the excitement for each contest.

3) Lot and lots of prizes - but only a few contests. Any superfluous prizes go into a prize drawing.

4) Should we have first, second, and third place winners of contests, or just first place?

Another idea is to have any multiple prize donators, like Alumilite, who want to ship them all out at once, to have all their prizes go into the Donation Drawing...that is, Jeff would make all the drawings for Alumilite products - and then they all get shipped out at the same time. I don't know if Jeff would want the Donation Drawing to be watered down, however...it's usually just the best-of-the-best, eh?

I was thinking that it might be best if the Ed and Dawn had less tasks this year - they did a ridiculous amount of work last year. Maybe they could have a team that helps them, and they become the 'in case of trouble' contacts?

I'm going to stop here, because I'm frankly lightheaded, and I don't know if I'm making much sense... :)
Several good points. I'm not claiming to be of any real enlightening wisdom, but count me in to help out if I can to "shoulder" some of the burden. There are most certainly pros and cons of each. My personal opinion is, while more daunting, the more prizes and more winners the better. To "spread the wealth" so to speak. There are many more members than there can be winners but I think it is nice to get as many excited about winning something. That being said, I totally support it if the idea of fewer big prizes is the decision.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Let's not make decisions based on their impact on Ed and Dawn, OK??

Do what you think is best, most fun, does the most for the bash. Last year we WERE a bit overwhelmed. I have a very good learning curve. This year we will have a small army of volunteers. (I have an amazing number of friends who will pitch in to help the site!!)

For example, there will be two volunteers handling the trivia. I suspect it will be "odd and even" dates. That will limit each one to thirty prizes to award and follow up. Meanwhile, it still means Andrew will find SIXTY prizes for that ONE contest. Methinks the man gives US way too much credit.

ANDREW bears the brunt!!!! We just get them to the right folks.

One thing that REALLY MUCKS UP the process is prizes we get AFTER Becca has made the allocations (last year January 28ish). At that point, prizes should be "closed".

Becca had allocated nearly all the prizes and all was well. The "changes" after that created little problems, which, in the greater scheme of things seem insignificant. Except they are on top of the already-existing problems and that tends to grow on itself.

The small army of volunteers will help minimize this, but if we allow donations for all of January (well publicized on the forum), why should we allow later "decisions" by a couple stragglers??

Just thoughts.

Top Bottom