Stationary Sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, Since we are all into making pens, I'm going to assume that we are all into writing with them, too. Where do folks buy stationary? I'm looking for something a little heavier weight than the standard copy paper, and a little smaller in size than the standard 8.5x11--probably half that size or maybe something that's 5.75x7 or so. Any suggestions on a place to buy something nice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Interesting request. It's been several years since I've written a letter and when I wrote that one it still shocked everyone that heard about it. I do carry and use one of the pens I made but it's only to write checks, another thing that's fading away, and filling out credit card receipts. So to you original questions I don't know what paper they use in whatever machine they use to print those.

jalbert

Vanness, goulet pens, jet pens, lemur ink, goldspot pens, dromgoole's, Anderson pens, cult pens...
I know there are many more, but those are the ones that came to mind

monophoto

It's hard to find a really good brick/mortar stationary shop anymore, but there are a number of excellent suppliers on line.

Also, the major arts supply store chains such as Michael's, Dick Blick, JoAnn, CheapJoe's, and their regional counterparts often have a good selection to choose from. Most towns have at least one locally-owned art supplies store that maintains a small stock of writing paper.

One approach to the problem might be to search for an identify a brand of paper, and then shop around for retailers who sell that brand. Rhodia and Clairfontain are both highly respected European manufacturers of fine writing paper. In the niche world of fountain pen and ink testing, Rhodia is pretty much considered the standard paper for comparative tests. In the US, Cranes used to be the gold standard, but no so much anymore - they are still the sole-supplier of paper for US currency (and the only company to ever supply this specialized niche market), but they have all but abandoned the ordinary writing paper market. In fact, there was a news story about a month ago announcing that they were closing their facility in North Adams, MA and merging with Mohawk Papers in Cohoes, NY. Interestingly, the main focus of the company today is plumbing fixtures and accessories. Go figure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom