Starbond slow drying

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mark, is your shop heated? Do you keep it a temperature lower than 70°F? When I lived overseas, where I started pen turning, I learned that around 18°C and below caused the CA to take more time to cure/dry. Since I learned that, I have kept a hair dryer in my shop ever since. While I have a heat gun, they get too hot too quickly, but with a hair dryer it is easier to control the heat and does help speed up the process. Drying/curing does better above 70°F /20°C.

howsitwork

Hank

thank you !

I never knew that and it makes so much sense as the polymerisation will be faster at raised temperatures

MPVic

Mark, is your shop heated? Do you keep it a temperature lower than 70°F? When I lived overseas, where I started pen turning, I learned that around 18°C and below caused the CA to take more time to cure/dry. Since I learned that, I have kept a hair dryer in my shop ever since. While I have a heat gun, they get too hot too quickly, but with a hair dryer it is easier to control the heat and does help speed up the process. Drying/curing does better above 70°F /20°C.
Actually my "shop" is indoors so temp is no problem. But I really like your suggestion about the hair dryer - thanks.

duncsuss

It might not apply to all varieties of CA, but I know that some of them act faster when the humidity is higher. Where I live (Boston area) and Canada at this time of the year typically have a very low RelH so that might be impacting the set/cure speed.

howsitwork

It might not apply to all varieties of CA, but I know that some of them act faster when the humidity is higher. Where I live (Boston area) and Canada at this time of the year typically have a very low RelH so that might be impacting the set/cure speed.
Duncan

this is true as the Majority ( but not all ) of CA are acid stabilised and the dilution of the acid my moisture present in the air and wood causes the polymerisation to start.

So called medical grade superglues use a different stabiliser ( hence they don't hurt when you seal a cut with them ) . Our normal CA will stop wounds but it hurts like 🤬***** when you apply them , steri strips are so much nicer DAMHIKT🥹

Top Bottom