Stainless Steel polish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Paul, I make a few pens from stainless and dont use anything specific.
For me, hours of sanding through all the grits with wet n dry to 2000 pretty much gets it there.
Then I use whatever is to hand....could be the Auto Super Resin polish I normally use on plastics or even good old Brasso.
I used to use my buffing wheels with the three coloured sticks, but tend not to anymore as I've had too many finished parts getting flung across my shop. 😀

WriteON

www.eastwood.com has great polishing equipment. I like the look polished stainless...looks like chrome when done right.

jttheclockman

Paul, I make a few pens from stainless and dont use anything specific.
For me, hours of sanding through all the grits with wet n dry to 2000 pretty much gets it there.
Then I use whatever is to hand....could be the Auto Super Resin polish I normally use on plastics or even good old Brasso.
I used to use my buffing wheels with the three coloured sticks, but tend not to anymore as I've had too many finished parts getting flung across my shop. 😀
So that was the meteor I saw shooting through the sky :) Pen parts.

BKelley

I used Lee coumpounds years ago, 1st run was with a 600 grit greaseless compound on a stitched wheel that was cracked real well. 2nd run was a gray compound on a loose muslin wheel and final run was a white compound on a loose cotton wheel. The wheels were 12" on 3/4 hp Baldor unit.

Ben

RicklesssS

At first, I was like " Oh yeah! That's a good idea"!
I REALLY like the DuraClick EDC in Stsinless Steel, but it never even occurred to me to polish the kit parts! Duh!
But looking at one of them now, I'm wondering if all the knurling would even polish, rather then load up the knurls with the polish or polishing compound?
Maybe your talking about polishing stainless steel pen parts that are smooth you've made on a metal lathe?

jttheclockman

At first, I was like " Oh yeah! That's a good idea"!
I REALLY like the DuraClick EDC in Stsinless Steel, but it never even occurred to me to polish the kit parts! Duh!
But looking at one of them now, I'm wondering if all the knurling would even polish, rather then load up the knurls with the polish or polishing compound?
Maybe your talking about polishing stainless steel pen parts that are smooth you've made on a metal lathe?
That is what they are talking about. I would not polish any kits whatsoever with a buffing wheel. Many people including myself have made pen barrels from Stainless Steel. Those are true SS. I do not like the high shine of polished SS so I choose to tone it down with a texture look.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0368.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0368.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 166
Top Bottom