Stabilizing Natural Color of Spalted Dogwood with Cactus Juice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I had the good fortune of acquiring a Dogwood tree with the bare root wad from near a camp site I was at. It dried well and had beautiful color. A mix of whites, creams, blacks, Browns and a beautiful pinkish color.

It turns nicely, but as soon as any finish hit the wood, all of the pinkish reds turned to a still nice but warm to walnut brown.
IMG_1235.JPG

Decided to see if stabilizing with Cactus Juice would help preserve the unusual color.

Before stabilizing
IMG_1197.JPG

After stablizing
IMG_1217.JPG

After stabilizing I rough turned a blank to apply just enough of various finishes to see the end result. Each time the blank was scraped back to bare wood with no effort to sand or polish.

Stabilized unfinished:
IMG_1232.JPG

Stabilized coated with Dr's Pen Plus:
IMG_1231.JPG

Stabilized coated with Captain Eddies juice:
IMG_1233.JPG

Stabilized coated with BSI Super Gold thin CA:
IMG_1234.JPG

In the end, I would say yes, stabilizing helped preserve more of the pinkish color, though the finish may affect the outcome.

Certainly a big difference from unstabilized version.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Interesting

Mike,

You have done a lot of hard work to achieve the results you desired.

Do you have a blank of Pink Ivory you would be willing to risk doing the same treatment on. I'd be curious to know the results. It would be nice if it could be finished pink.

If you try it, please post the results.

Charlie

MRDucks2

Mike,

You have done a lot of hard work to achieve the results you desired.

Do you have a blank of Pink Ivory you would be willing to risk doing the same treatment on. I'd be curious to know the results. It would be nice if it could be finished pink.

If you try it, please post the results.

Charlie

I will check my inventory list, as I believe I may have one. If not, I try to find some to try and see how it does, Charles

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom