Stabilising...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Animyzo

I'm contemplating getting the things I need to stabilise. I have a bounty of cherry burl, and am likely going to continue getting burls from my.friend when he goes up to his cabin.
I would also be looking to stablize larger blanks for bowls as well.

Is it worth it?

Can you stabilize green wood?

Easiest system / method?

Cost for a reliable system?

Thanks in advance.

TimS124

Wood has to be dry in order to stabilize properly. Not sort of dry or dry-ish...dry like a desert in mid-Summer. Curtis has posted previously the importance of getting rid of every last bit of moisture before stabilizing....that includes baking the pieces-to-be-stabilized for 24 hours, then sealing them in something while they cool so they can't re-absorb moisture from the air around them as they cool.

Cost depends on whether you can score (or already have) a good vacuum pump and whether you make your own chamber or buy one pre-made. You can find lots of info on stabilizing by searching his posts here on IAP or dropping by the tutorials section of his site: TurnTex Woodworks - TurnTex Woodworks Penturning Resources

Gary Beasley

Gotta figure in a good reliable oven for cooking the pieces afterwards that will hold the temp accurately and not set any drippings on fire. Also needs to be big enough for those bowl sized blanks.

rblakemore

Practice your stabilizing

Stabilizing is not difficult; you just have to practice and learn the techniques.
Go to the Casting & Stabilization sub-forum under the Blank Making forum
And watch the videos by Curtis Seebeck.

Top Bottom