Squid pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laurie sullivan

I had the urge to Schrim, so, this is what I was able to finish. It took me a week to decide on a subject, then, it took me 3 days (a few hrs at a time)to scratch my was across the tubes of Axis antler. I like the end results, but I wish the antler had less pith. The kit is a Titanium Jr. Gent.

thanks,

DSC_0071398x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jeff,

Scrimshaw is the reference.

Beautiful work, Laurie!!

I am confused about your remark wrt the antler. From my experience, axis antler hase almost now pith (marrow)when compared to whitetail antler.

thanks William,

when I get the axis antler I buy the whole antler and for this pen I needed a pretty thick piece and all I had was the "head" side. it's not as porus (marrowy:D) as white tail but it is there.

great12b4ever

Laurie, I am so sorry. I forgot to make a comment on your outstanding scrimshaw work. Your pen and artwork is outstanding. Now, I see that I will need to buy some books about scrimshawing and try to learn how to do that. Your work is an inspiration to me, and I thank you for that.
My remark to Cav was that I was NOT going to make a remark about his typos and spelling errors. It did not have any reference to you or your workwomanship (see, I am trying to be politically correct). Please accept my apology if it was taken wrongly.
Oh, thanks for the young man remark. Made my day!

bitshird

Laurie, Ye be a fair hand at scrimshandin, ;) seems to me doing scrimshaw on a surface with that small of a radius would be difficult I like the squid theme, I always did like Calamari. [8D][8D][8D]

Rob....I understand, leave Cav's spelling to Cav.

Ken, Thanks

Arjudy, My last two scrimshaw pens were a lighthouse and a clipper ship. If I could have add a ship entangled I would have tired. I like the nautical theme.

JohnU

Outstanding pen and scrimshaw. I like to work with antler and have only gotten my hands on a little axis, but whitetail is accessible so thats what I use most of. You are very talented!

railrider1920

Very cool. I like the squid. That is pretty cool. I'm not looking for a tutorial, but how is that accomplished? Basically scratching the design into the blank, adding a color and then sanding off any excess color? Good job

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by great12b4ever

Laurie, I am so sorry. I forgot to make a comment on your outstanding scrimshaw work. Your pen and artwork is outstanding. Now, I see that I will need to buy some books about scrimshawing and try to learn how to do that. Your work is an inspiration to me, and I thank you for that.
My remark to Cav was that I was NOT going to make a remark about his typos and spelling errors. It did not have any reference to you or your workwomanship (see, I am trying to be politically correct). Please accept my apology if it was taken wrongly.
Oh, thanks for the young man remark. Made my day!

Dang, that was some bad typing on my part! I was stone cold sober at the time! [:I]

VisExp

Laurie, I always look forward to when you post your work. The scrimshaw looks amazing. It looks to me like the pen has a postable cap. Given the scrimshaw design, would it not have been better to have put it on a non-postable kit?

redfishsc

Very nice artwork! That is a pen to be treasured for sure. I'm a big fan of marine biology, so this pen really tickles my fancies.

As a side note, does the pen squirt ink if you startle it?

Top Bottom