Squaring a pen blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougwright

I'm having a problem squaring up a pen blank, particuarly after segmenting. I'm no referring to squaring the ends, but rather making the four sides of the blank parallel while maintaining a center point.; Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Best advice is always start out with a square blank. You add any segments then right away square it again. Always work from the center out. Maybe if you show us an example of what you are having problems with we can suggest more.

KenB259

Best advice is always start out with a square blank. You add any segments then right away square it again. Always work from the center out. Maybe if you show us an example of what you are having problems with we can suggest more.
I second this, in my opinion, starting with a square blank is necessary, and not an option with a segmented design.

calabrese55

it would help to see a picture of your blank. Without that i will take a shot at a solution...
I will assume you can identify the center line of your blank.
Sand the blank FIRST to get a relatively flat surface first. Do this on all 4 sides now if you can Draw a line on your blank that is the desired center line on one or more sides. Best if you can add this feature on all 4 sides.
Assuming you want a finished dimension of your blank of say 3/4 inch square See my Rube Goldburg sketch for the process from there.
calabrese55
blank square sketch.jpg

Muddydogs

Measure from the center out desired distance and mark a line on all four sides then sand or cut to line. Could make a jig to hold the center point for sanding or cutting.

dougwright

it would help to see a picture of your blank. Without that i will take a shot at a solution...
I will assume you can identify the center line of your blank.
Sand the blank FIRST to get a relatively flat surface first. Do this on all 4 sides now if you can Draw a line on your blank that is the desired center line on one or more sides. Best if you can add this feature on all 4 sides.
Assuming you want a finished dimension of your blank of say 3/4 inch square See my Rube Goldburg sketch for the process from there.
calabrese55View attachment 358740
Very helpful! I think this is the info I was looking for. Thanks

Top Bottom