Oily Glue Failure??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Well I tried my first glue up with oily glue. The lower blank blew apart because of a catch , however, I'm not ready to call it a failure. I wanted to try something that is always a little difficult, so I included a lot of aluminum. I cut the blanks a little long so I could sand them back to size, which I did. Very aggressively, I might add, to the point they were too hot to touch. The glue held. I drilled them also very aggressively, 1/2 inch at a time, never cooled the bit off, that went fine too. I made the end caps end grain, on purpose, just to add to the difficulty. The top turned fine and I went at it like a madman. Still held together. The lower blank, blew apart because of a catch. So even though this one blew apart, I'm not calling it a failure. It should have failed long before it did. This glue is about the consistency of medium CA, smells not quite as strong as regular CA, doesn't burn if you get it on your skin. I should also tell you this was only glued up an hour before I turned it. I believe if I would have taken all the normal precautions these blanks would have made it all the way through. You can see in the upper barrel, I didn't get a straight hole. Also, if I could find the missing piece, I could probably glue this back together.

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpeg
    IMG_3850.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 85
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

No activator that I am aware of. I'll try some regular activater and see what it does. I hadn't planned on using it for a finish but I can try it on one.

Top Bottom