spindle height

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

What I'm asking here is certainly a matter of personal preferences for various reasons, so please share your own preference. If you have found a "setting" that works for you based on physical limitations such as back, knee, neck problems, please note that so maybe it can help not just me, but the IAP community.

What height works best for you for the spindle? What's ergonomic for you? I do realize that will differ for someone that's 5' 5" feet tall vs. someone that' 6' 7", so how about where the spindle falls for you. Maybe related to your elbow? That's probably the most relative measurement I can think of. Right now, mine is right about here.

1685372670722.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

TL : DR
I would say my preferred height of the spindle would be somewhere between my waist and my 90º bent arm level.

Traditionally the spindle height should be at the height of the arms bent 90º or so and standing at a comfortable position. I say comfortable because that will will vary from person to person. As a bowl turner I need to be able to shift from pressure on one foot to the other while making a cutting pass so my comfortable position would be with feet spread roughly shoulder width and knees slightly bent so my height to my arms at 90º would be slightly lower than when I stand up straight.

My MIDI lathe (Delta 46-460) was on a rolling platform that was about 4" high and put it at the above suggested height.
My spindle height on my current larger lathe (Grizzly G0766) is a bit high for me. I find myself holding the handle of my cutting tool in my side above my waist level and it should ideally be at waist level.

walshjp17

I keep my spindle heights at the level of my bent elbow with my feet flat on the mat in front of the lathe. In one case that means I need to have a modified pallet as a platform (~3" high) as the lathe sits atop a steel cabinet.

howsitwork

i built my lathe stand to give me elbow height at spindle centre line, then added a 1.5 inch top 😳 which kind of spoilt the theory ! I find it works well as I keep my back straight which is kind of relaxing for me. So just over elbow height with arms loosely by your side .

The makers stand was too low and i ended up bent over it so built my own . I also made a 4" high platform , small pallet type , so if i do want to be over the work for say a planing cut with a skew I can be but frankly i havent used it since i did some on lathe router fluting ( for which it was brilliant ).

gbpens

I think the diagram is right on. That horizontal arm level gives a comfortable height and good leverage as well as balance.

calabrese55

Tis can be answered in so many ways. The detail above is from experience of others and is most likely the best most realistic until you evaluate your comfort . The link below comes from a quick Google search.
It is going to show the images and such that will lead to the actual web site expanding on the cameo information.
Here are some of those specific sites
SEE PAGE 14 of this PDF
You might substitute your spindle center line for the suggested work table heights in the specs.

Keep in mind that working at a lathe the general concept is to not so much move your arms but to work your upper body with arms more or less fixed . I try to do this and it seems to work however I have to think about it as just moving you hands and arms with body fixed seems to be more natural
calabrese55

Top Bottom