Spalted Sweetgum hollow form

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

I got a chance to use my shop built captured hollowing system with laser. I was really pleased with how it worked. The hollowing progressed smoothly and the laser really helped ensure a consistent wall thickness.

Ever since I read David Ellsworth's book Ellsworth on Woodturning I have been captivated by his "spirit forms". This is my attempt at recreating one. The wood is spalted Sweetgum.

Attachments

• 0081 - 1 Spalted Sweetgum.jpg
    0081 - 1 Spalted Sweetgum.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stolicky

Good job.

My first attempt at a hollow form (a small one) ended up in two pieces across the shop after a nasty catch. I'll eventually get back to attempting one again.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sweet!!!:biggrin:

The 'shop built laser thingy' sound intrigueing (sp?):confused:
I've only made one 'bowl-ish' thing and the wall thickness was about an inch!!!!:redface:

Excellent form and beautiful wood Keith!

would you mind posting a pic of your rig? I am thinking about buying or making one, but I can't settle on a design. I understand if you don't want to - in case you may patent it...

VisExp

The 'shop built laser thingy' sound intrigueing (sp?):confused:

would you mind posting a pic of your rig? I am thinking about buying or making one, but I can't settle on a design. I understand if you don't want to - in case you may patent it...

LOL. No patent. The idea wasn't even mine. I got it from a posting on another forum. I had been struggling with hand held hollowing for a while. The position I seemed to need to stand in was tiring and I kept going through the side and bottom of pieces. I had a monster hollowing tool that I got used here on this forum and adapted it to a "captured" hollowing system with a laser.

You can see pictures of it on my blog

http://syzygypens.com/blog/2009/07/06/captured-hollowing-system-with-laser/

It was simple to build and should be self explanatory from the pictures. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

louisbry

Keith, your hollow form is excellent. Nice wood, very good shape and appears to have thin and uniform thickness. Good job, I would be interested in seeing more of your turnings.

broitblat

(Odd, I thought I had posted a comment before...)

That is a great looking piece! Beautiful wood, great form, nice finish, and well rendered.

-Barry

akbar24601

Keith, That looks Awesome!!! Very nice job. I was looking at your set up and it looks really cool. Looks like it/you did a great job!

shull

Beautiful job Keith. I guess I will have to break down and try that Laser "thingie". I read about one somewhere but got distracted by that proverbial rabbit trail.

bitshird

Keith very nice work, I like the way your Laser is working, are you going to do a Richard Raffan and cut it in half to check?? If you are send it to me, that is a beautiful hollow form, and beautiful wood.

Top Bottom