pendant hole help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RAdams

RAdams

Banned
About one out of every three or so pendants i do, i end up blowing the whole thing out trying to make the hole. It doesn't seem to happen as bad, or often when i make them out of wood. The PR ends up catching, and the gouge bounces all the way across the face of the piece.

I see some really nice ?tie holes? on the pendants here. How do you guys cut your holes out?

I have considered using some 1/4 inch round HSS stock i have hiding somewhere and making a mini round nose scraper just for this job. I like the look of the hole being turned as opposed to drilled.

Any thoughts, and, or help would be greatly appreciated! I am about tired throwing pendants in my junk PR box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Well ---- I am no expert yet... I've done a few and have used my skew in 'scraper' position working into the hole to smooth it into that shape... I'd love to see others opinions.

el_d

I've done about 20 out of PR and use a drill bit on the lathe then use the skew to "round over" the hole made by the bit. The bits have to be sharp and I go slow.

sailing_away

I put the backer plate on the offset hole and use a pencil to draw a line where the hole will be. After I'm satisfied with the look, I unscrew the backer off the lathe and quickly drill a hole with the drill press. Then back on the lathe for rounding off the edges. Very quick process. I have in the past cut the holes with the skew but I find it is much faster to drill the hole then finish it off on the lathe.

RAdams

Banned
I also use a backer plate. It is about 2 inches in dia. and made of Corian. I normally turn and finish the back, and then reverse it on the plate. Then i turn and finish the front, then i put the backer plate on the offset, and go to town with a spindle gouge to make the hole. I think i really like the idea of drilling it, and then cleaning up the edge. I just recently started drilling on the lathe, so i still get a kick out of the precision when drilling with the lave!

louisbry

I use a backer plate made of a pine 2 x 6 cutoff. I mount it to a faceplate and turn it round to the desired diameter. I mount the pendent off center using two sided sticky tape and drill a 1/4 inch hole, using a tail stock mounted chuck. While the pendent is still attached to the backer plate I carefully shape the hole as desired with my bowl gouge. I guess a spindle gouge or skew chisel would also work nicely.

Last edited:

fernhills

Hi, and sometimes it is shame to put a hole in such fine specimen of a burl and that is when i attach a silver plated bail, another spin on the pendant. Carl

LabTrnr

I use a 1/2" skew in scraper mode also, seems quicker than drilling off the lathe. I chuck a glue block with a piece of melamine on the front. I sand the back first and then turn and sand the front, then offset the piece to turn the hole and soften the edge. I stick them to the glue block with double face tape. I would like to get some UMH plastic (I think that's what it's called) and make a backer out of that. Just counter sink a screw to attach it to the glue block. I would think the tape would stick well to that and it would last longer than a wood backer.

Top Bottom