Southwest Ironwood with Turquoise SimStone Segment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This morning I finished up an Antique Brass Southwest Mesa twist pen using my first real successful segmented blank. The blank is Sonoran Desert Ironwood with a Turquoise SimStone segment separated with pieces of 20-gauge brass. It was finished with my standard Stick Fast Wood Finish CA regimen. I used epoxy to glue the blank together and to the tube. I also allowed much longer than is typical for me to let the epoxy cure out before I started turning. I was a little nervous and cautious as this is my first experience gluing, drilling, and turning both brass and SimStone.

Overall I am happy with how it turned out. I will most likely be making another one of these with a slightly darker piece of Ironwood and one with a little more figure if I can find one in my stash. I also plan on making one using a pewter kit and 20-gauge aluminum as separators. As always, your comments and suggestions for improvements will be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_1735 Cropped Reduced.jpg

And my standard views to show how it looks as it is rotated.
IMG_1738 Cropped.jpgIMG_1739 Cropped.jpgIMG_1740 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is excellent! đź‘Ť đź‘Ť . All the elements come together well, and I really like the thicker brass.

Thank you for sharing. One to be proud of.

Larryreitz

I really like it. One of these days I'll have to get that kit and make something for it. I thought of doing so before, but have wondered how it would go over here in the north east. Guess I'll just have to try and see. Very good work.
Larry

Top Bottom