Sorting MicroMesh - Colorblind or Not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Culprit

A few months ago a guy mentioned here on the IAP that one of the reasons he didn't use MicroMesh was that he is colorblind and couldn't keep the pads in the right order, and that he was tired of constantly asking his wife or someone else to sort them for him.

I'm not colorblind, but I don't like sorting the MicroMesh pads either. So here's my solution. I won't enter the MicroMesh vs. multiple buffing compounds vs. "I'm good enough with a skew" debate, but I hope this idea helps someone. Anyone old enough to have programmed computers with punch cards will recognize this technique, so I won't begin to take credit for it, but it works for me.

IMG_2113small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I have three sets of MM and use three different patterns similar to yours to keep the pads in order and in the right set.

jfoh

Where is a good key punch operator when you need them? Most likely at the Smithsonian either on display or as a docent giving guided tours on ancient computer technology. Still have a few key punch cards, magnetic tape, 5 1/4 floppy disc, smaller rigid disc around here somewhere.

I use a similar system when cutting blanks out of a flat board. Sometimes having a book match set of blanks adds to a project. Easy to keep track if you mark with a simple V before you start. When cutting multiple boards a double or triple line makes for fast sorting of blanks.

jbswearingen

I use the same technique when lining up boards for flatwork--drawing triangles on them after deciding the lay out allows me to reassemble them later for glue up.

eliasbboy

I use the same system, but I buy the larger pads and cut them into four sections. MUCH cheaper than buying the small ones.

t001xa22

Like Mike, I use felt marker "tic marks" on one corner of each pad. The marks do not interfere with the function of the pad or its corner and they don't wear away. The only problem I ever had with marking the stack was that when a pad was separated from the stack, I didn't know its place. With individual "tic marks", there is never any doubt. Just my opinion, of course.

panamag8or

You can also use a fine point Sharpie to write either the grit or the order of use on the foam edge.

This is the methode I use, works great and it's simple.

Same here. I'd rather use the numbers, than have to memorize the chart. I just bought a 6-piece set of knock-off micromesh at Hobby Lobby, and they have the grit # printed on them. They are the same as the 6 highest grits of micromesh.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I cut mine from sheets into 2" x 4" strips, punch a hole near the top and put them in order on a shower hook. Never have to look at the numbers, just go to the next in line.

plano_harry

Maybe I am making a big mistake, but I haven't seen any ill effects from marking a big 'ol 1-9 right on the face of the pad with a permanent marker. It never wears off. I only mark one side so I can try and even out the wear when doing multiple pens.

I also put a big 4 or 6 on my abranet sheets. I use them over and over and don't like having to try and read the grit after it gets a little old.

Harry

Tom T

I thought were the punch card thing was going that we should punch holes in the micro mesh pads. I was looking for my hole punch.

Thanks for this thread I just learned ways to save money by cutting up pads and how to keep them straight. I learn so much on this site.
Thanks again.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I mark 2 edges with 1 to 9 magic marker lines. When I need to line them up it's easy. Next time I might go for the hole and ring thing though.

Top Bottom