Something a bit different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ccccchunt

ccccchunt

Been thinking about the honeycomb bottle stopper discussions and how most people stay away because you always have one axis that looks a bit strange. I have solved that for the most part with my 2" vertical pours. This is the next step. I had a guy do up a 3d design that has the honeycomb array always going to the outside. Should make for an interesting blank. My plan is to affix a honeycomb slab on the top also so the pattern should be the same pretty much 360 degrees.

Attachments

• 66.JPG
    66.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 177
  • video-1645292339.mp4
    2.1 MB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have always preferred designs that extend from the OD to the ID, eliminating as you noted a distortion in the pattern on certain angles. Excellent work on this. đź‘Ź đź‘Ź

jrista

That looks awesome. Love the idea that the honeycomb pattern would be consistent through the center. I am curious...could a pen blank be created that way? Then of course, filled with various resins... Would love to make some EDC pens with a honeycomb like that! (Might be interested in doing the resin bit myself even, if I could get just the honeycomb scaffolding.)

ccccchunt

That looks awesome. Love the idea that the honeycomb pattern would be consistent through the center. I am curious...could a pen blank be created that way? Then of course, filled with various resins... Would love to make some EDC pens with a honeycomb like that! (Might be interested in doing the resin bit myself even, if I could get just the honeycomb scaffolding.)
I could definitely edit the stl file to make it match the size for an EDC pen. What size would the blank have to be. might even be possible for me to match the inner diameter to the pen tube so could cast the tube inside the honeycomb and not have to worry about gluing. Will definitely have to look into this since I already have the base model made and would just have to edit the structure and add some rows. Will also have to think about this a little. I'm concerned that if the tube is in there it will seal off some of the honeycombs and trap air bubbles if casting with tube in.

ccccchunt

I could definitely edit the stl file to make it match the size for an EDC pen. What size would the blank have to be. might even be possible for me to match the inner diameter to the pen tube so could cast the tube inside the honeycomb and not have to worry about gluing. Will definitely have to look into this since I already have the base model made and would just have to edit the structure and add some rows. Will also have to think about this a little. I'm concerned that if the tube is in there it will seal off some of the honeycombs and trap air bubbles if casting with tube in.
I think if it were me, I would design the honeycomb to match the ID of a 3/4" pvc pipe and cast the blank vertically and drill out afterwards. Would eliminate the risk of air being trapped in the cells imho.

ccccchunt

Tried one with resin. Worked out great but still have some tweaks to do in the design to allow for better resin flow in each compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 88

jrista

Tried one with resin. Worked out great but still have some tweaks to do in the design to allow for better resin flow in each compartment.
Looks awesome!!

I am curious...how fine of a hexagonal grid do you think you could print? Could you go smaller/finer than this? Or is this about as fine as you can go and still maintain integrity?

ccccchunt

The inside radius of these blanks are quite small. The octagon reduces in size all the way down to the inside diameter. So rough calculation is that it could print probably a 5th of the size or so. The inside openings are just small enough that I have a bit of a problem getting resin into the compartments if I pour once thickened. One of the tweaks I am working on.

ccccchunt

Looks awesome!!

I am curious...how fine of a hexagonal grid do you think you could print? Could you go smaller/finer than this? Or is this about as fine as you can go and still maintain integrity?
The inside radius of these blanks are quite small. The octagon reduces in size all the way down to the inside diameter. So rough calculation is that it could print probably a 5th of the size or so. The inside openings are just small enough that I have a bit of a problem getting resin into the compartments if I pour once thickened. One of the tweaks I am working on. You can see some micro bubbles in the before picture. They turned out easily and were the only ones.

Lmstretch

The inside radius of these blanks are quite small. The octagon reduces in size all the way down to the inside diameter. So rough calculation is that it could print probably a 5th of the size or so. The inside openings are just small enough that I have a bit of a problem getting resin into the compartments if I pour once thickened. One of the tweaks I am working on. You can see some micro bubbles in the before picture. They turned out easily and were the only ones.
Are you selling the 3D forms/ blanks?

Top Bottom