Some of the 3D Textured Pens That I've Made

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Wines

Ken Wines

Here are some of the 3D textured pens that I have done in the past. I did the design work on the pen shapes and textures. They all were cut on a CNC router that utilizes a custom built mandrel based rotary axis.

Attachments

• IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    411.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    394.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2759.JPG
    IMG_2759.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 269
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken Wines

Hand tools just can not compete with machines like that. :rolleyes:
It would really depend on the task at hand as to what might be the best tool to use. I have a wide variety of tools that I use on a regular basis. A 1940 something South Bend Metal lathe is the tool that probably gets the most use in my shop (the Keurig coffee maker comes in a very close second). Also, I might add it is not necessarily the tool, but perhaps the working knowledge of the tool applied by the operator.

Last edited:

Ken Wines

Hope you sell lots of blanks:)
I have given up on the idea of selling these kind of blanks. There's not much left to do after they come off the machine other than the applying the finish, and who really likes to make a pen and do just the finish. I'll make a new design every now and then to break up the routine. Most of the pens I give away in one fashion or another. I did get a couple of custom blank orders last year for 25 blanks each. The requester said he'd like for all of them to look alike and that's what I try to deliver.

jttheclockman

Hope you sell lots of blanks:)
I have given up on the idea of selling these kind of blanks. There's not much left to do after they come off the machine other than the applying the finish, and who really likes to make a pen and do just the finish. I'll make a new design every now and then to break up the routine. Most of the pens I give away in one fashion or another. I did get a couple of custom blank orders last year for 25 blanks each. The requester said he'd like for all of them to look alike and that's what I try to deliver.

What are you talking about. you will be offering the puzzle blanks and they are done. there are alot of blank makers that take the work out of making a pen. There is a market for everything today. More money made in blanks than pen turning and that is a proven fact. Seen it here so much. Hope you do well.

That third pen from the left, I will take a swing at that one and do it my way. I will put it on my list to try pens. always up for a challenge. Can not compete with anything scrolled in wood like that but basic lines and circles anyone can do.

Last edited:

robutacion

Yes, I agree that you have a product that can sell well, if you so wish.

If you can produce those barrels out of interesting woods and have them made for most of the pen kits sold these days at an "affordable" price and you still make money, I see no problem.

I believe there are many folks out there that would be happy to have pen barrels already turned/machined that they can finish as they like and press all parts together by themselves.

You may do OK until the Chinese see it sell well start reproducing them for half price or less, they would never use or have the variety and quality of woods we can have but, they are experts in using a white/neutral colour wood and create/imitate any grain and wood colours they want and people wouldn't know any better.

Just to make sure, I have nothing against Chinese, but you know what I mean, huh...?:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Ken Wines

What are you talking about. you will be offering the puzzle blanks and they are done. there are alot of blank makers that take the work out of making a pen. There is a market for everything today. More money made in blanks than pen turning and that is a proven fact. Seen it here so much. Hope you do well.

That third pen from the left, I will take a swing at that one and do it my way. I will put it on my list to try pens. always up for a challenge. Can not compete with anything scrolled in wood like that but basic lines and circles anyone can do.
The laser inlays and puzzle pens are a little different. I sell them as kits with the inlays pressed in place and the puzzle are worked around the tube. They still need to be glued and the tube centered and glued. This is usually the same operation on most of the inlays. The way I do them I center up the tube and flood the joint lines with thin CA which glues the pieces together and also glues the pieces to the tube. They have 1/8" wood thickness and do requires some turning to get them down to size and shape. You are very correct that blanks sales are much more profitable than finished pen sales. I sold more blanks in February alone dollar wise than the finished pens I have sold in the last 4 years. The beer barrel blank that you refer to was kind of year end filler when I was try to come up with a new design. I tried to design in detail even down to the rivet heads on the ring. A buddy of mine that makes cast JD Label upper blanks for the Cigar Pen suggested I might get some JD blanks for the lower part and carve the barrel in the lower and pair them up.

jttheclockman

To each his own as they say. I prefer to make my own blanks. I believe there are plenty of ideas that can be achieved by just a little thought. Some people can not perceive this and need premade blanks. People like you is what fills that need. I have done a couple laser kits and yes there is some work but not much. Your blanks will sell well if you can supply the many different kits.

Top Bottom