Some more duck calls - and a question for you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

I sold the first 3 duck calls I made, so naturally I made some more:)

First one is olive ash, the next cocobolo and the last is a burly oak mica pearl blank from Hut.

I tried to photograph the last call a little differently in order to give it some interest. A trip to Michael's turned up some scrapbook paper and marsh grass.

Question/opinion: Which backdrop do you prefer? The plain one or the marsh grass scene?

Thanks for helping out. C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Olive ash.jpg
    Olive ash.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 165
  • Cocobolo.jpg
    Cocobolo.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Burly oak micapearl green top.jpg
    Burly oak micapearl green top.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree with Andrew.

Additionally, the color of the call in the last picture would be difficult to show with a black and would look stark with a white background. The one you used looks natural, to me.

Good choice!

elkhorn

Thanks, Ed. I was really surprised by the way the mica pearl turned out. The blank was kind of a coppery color with a few black lines showing. Big surprise when it was turned and polished.

studioseven

Elkhorn,
I have often pondered selling some duck calls when I do craft shows. I am hesitant for several reasons. They look great but do they work? Also, how does the customer test them. Not sure I would want to buy one that someone else used. How do you get around that?

Seven

elkhorn

Thanks, Leslie.

Seven, I had two friends that are avid duck hunters try them out and they said that they "sounded" great. Both bought them. I also considered the second part of your question. Two possible solutions in my mind. First, have a supply of cheap baggies with a hole in the center (I haven't tried this yet, but I will and let you know). The second is to keep some anti-microbial wipes and wipe after each test. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

elkhorn

Thanks, Jim. I think it's pretty unanimous. I'll probably re-shoot some of the other calls for my website using the backdrop from number 3.

dogcatcher

The third pic is the better one. But you have other problems with your designs, the top of the barrels lack enough diameter, the wood ones will likely crack. The first wood one the insert is not seated deep enough, going to take a lot of air to properly blow it. Also you need to show the mouth end duck hunters are pretty particular about how their mouth will fit their calls.

I would use bands on the wood barrels to keep them from splitting. Go to a sporting good store, look at the barrels, a duck call barrel design has some basics, try too emulate the features. They need to be comfortable in the hand and the mouth end has to be comfortable on the lips.

Top Bottom