Lilac and Alumilite Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MarkD

MarkD

I had a bunch of Lilac that cracked to the point that it wasn't much good for pen blanks so I decided to make a bowl from it.
This is the result. It's made from the cracked Lilac scraps and Alumilite. It was sanded to 600, waxed and buffed.
The dimensions are 8" x 3".

DSC07062.JPG

DSC07061.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Beautiful workman ship and the colors go togeather so well. Question did you cast this in a bowl shaped mold to save resin? Thanks William
I tried to save as much resin as possible so I glued up some 1x12" pine and turned a bowl shape on the inside to create the mold. I also turned a plug to take up space in the center of the bowl. I had hoped to be able reuse the mold but that didn't work out this time...I ened up turning the mold off the bowl.

wwneko

I've been thinking to do something very similar, your execution is flawless. Nicely done!

Bobostro61

Wow, that's spectacular! For the mold you made, did you cut rings from the pine and glue them stacked? I'd love to try that some time. I use polyester resin to make pen blanks though. Would that work as well as aluminite?

MarkD

Wow, that's spectacular! For the mold you made, did you cut rings from the pine and glue them stacked? I'd love to try that some time. I use polyester resin to make pen blanks though. Would that work as well as aluminite?

Actually, I cut the 1x12" pine into 11 1/2" circles and glued 6 of them together. I then mounted a faceplate and turned the bowl shape on the inside of the round mold. It could probably have been done with rings as well.
From what I understand, polyester resin tends to shrink a bit and pull away from the wood as it cures. Alumilite works better when your casting wood and resin.

Top Bottom