Some Experiments and Lessons Learned.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

So I wanted to try making a modified Slimline and eliminate the center band. So I added two bits of brass and some oak to the top half to take the place of the band. I also got a little ambitious and added some brass scallops to the bottom half.
0417221216.jpg

Things went well right up to the end when the chisel caught and blew up the bottom half.
0417221217.jpg

So, I regrouped and tried a different insert idea for the bottom half, and it actually fared worse, with the chisel catching the brass long before I got close to the desired shape and size.
0417221217a.jpg

I finally gave up on the brass (for now), and went with wood inserts to the same design as I was trying with the brass. What I found was that two prices of ash edge banding (with hot melt glue already added) when put glue side to glue side are almost exactly the same thickness as the brass, and match the kerf of my saw. So that's what I finally ended up with.

0417221215a.jpg

There are several problems with this example, so it will just be a writing instrument for me, but it was a significant learning experience for me.

And I'm bound and determined to figure out how to work with that brass.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

What tool exactly were you using? Most metal working bits are pretty much scrapers so following that line of thought a scraper should fare better than a gouge. A negative rake may be even better but I have no evidence either way on that.

MDEdwards

I frequently make Turk's head knots using brass and/or aluminum sheets, with black paper separations. I do use a carbide scraper, also aggressive course sanding paper for final shaping when concerned about tear out. The challenge to using sanding to shape is the difference densities of the various materials. I generally make up by thicker clear coating layers.

Fine Engineer

What tool exactly were you using? Most metal working bits are pretty much scrapers so following that line of thought a scraper should fare better than a gouge. A negative rake may be even better but I have no evidence either way on that.
For this I was using mostly the ouend carbide scraper. Next time I'll try holding it at an angle and see if that helps.

Gary Beasley

For this I was using mostly the ouend carbide scraper. Next time I'll try holding it at an angle and see if that helps.
Sounds like a good idea, angling reduces the contact area and pressure involved overall. If you have a smaller radius round cutter that should help too. Even a square cutter rolled at a high angle will have a similar effect.

Fine Engineer

Perhaps increasing speed?
For the one that was nearly done, I was using the full 3200 rpm, and for the larger one, I tried several speeds with problems at all speeds. I'm thinking that I need to get closer to the final size on the belt sander, then take it to the lathe, and I might look into getting a skew chisel and see if that helps. At the right angle it would be less of a point load at the cut.

Top Bottom