So who makes the best chili?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Chili is not a condiment, but a lot of the comments have made chili a condiment. If your spaghetti is so bad you need to flavor it with chili, you might want to figure out what is wrong with your spaghetti recipe. This also goes for the macaroni, the beans, and whatever else you spice up with chili.

I am native Texan, with a heritage dating back to the day when Mexico ruled Texas as a state of Mexico. With 70 plus years of eating chili experience.
If you were Ohio Valley Area, you'd know what real chili is :biggrin:. Noodles,Peppers, Beans, Onions. The Worx!!!
There is a restaurant in Memphis, TN that serves BBQ over spaghetti. Nothing wrong with any spaghetti recipe as there are a number of ways to serve it. I lived in a predominately Italian neighborhood in Queens, NY. Our neighbor's mother in law made several gallons of sauce from tomatoes fresh out of the garden. BTW, it is a side dish, not a main course, according to cookbook author, Ed Giobbi. FWIW, I'll go with Skyline's Five Way. Hard to beat.

I don't put pasta in my chili. I use deer meat, red kidney beans, onions and tomatoes. I use the Carol Shelby spice pack and then let it cook all day. As Mark mentioned, wait a couple of days and it's even better. As for my stand by drink, it's Jack Old #7. But not too much of the Jack as you don't want to ruin the flavor of your chili, or forgot you even had any.
For all the members that put pasta in their chili, let me ask this. Have you ever taken your chili, with pasta, the next day, put it in a skillet and cooked it and then put a fried egg on top? If you haven't, you need to try it. I do this with left over spaghetti and it's great. Throw a little Tabasco on top and you've got a meal to last until dinner time.

This is the recipe that I use: Paul Prudhomme's Texas Red Chili.

Yes, I do roast the dried peppers and make the spice mix. This recipe is a 1/2 day event - 1-2x/year. It tastes better 2-3 days later. Reheating also seems to be fine.

For my tastes, I use all of the suggested spice amounts. For some family, I use less of the finished spice mix in the chili and serve some on the side - as written, it can be pretty hot (which I like). Frank's hot sauce/equivalent also on the side is good; and also if desired cheeses, sour cream, tortillas, etc.

As to the actual recipe, the only modification I do is to add 24 oz of canned diced tomatoes in addition to the fresh ones in the recipe.

Not to offend anyone, but I also have been known to have Bourbon on hand while cooking; no, not in the chili. :wink:

I prefer it in the pot "nine days old."

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Is this why there is so much Trumping going on in the States right now????
:biggrin:

What was that Spaghetti Western comedy film where they are all sitting around the campfire, farting like crazy?.
You can just picture Ernie, Chuck and Mark acting that out :biggrin:

Picture of the three of them attached.....:tongue:

Blazing Saddles !!! That was it !! :biggrin:

Attachments

• blazing saddles.jpg
    blazing saddles.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Skiprats post reminded me of the story of a guy who ate Chili the night before he was to take the wife and kids on a trip to Kings Island amusement park. On a two hour drive from Indy to KI, the pressure built. He was letting loose the whole way, and laughed about it. He said, when they got there, and went through the gate, he trusted one too far, and actually stained his drawers. (Really bad) On the busiest day of the season, :biggrin: The place was packed! Had his wife go buy him a Poncho to wrap himself in after trashing his pants in the restroom. Long day!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Is this why there is so much Trumping going on in the States right now????
:biggrin:

What was that Spaghetti Western comedy film where they are all sitting around the campfire, farting like crazy?.
You can just picture Ernie, Chuck and Mark acting that out :biggrin:

Picture of the three of them attached.....:tongue:

Blazing Saddles !!! That was it !! :biggrin:

Well, some of us actually qualify as members of the "Old Fart Club," so no arguments here - the right was earned.

However... My chili includes no beans, so any farting is a result of "natural abilities." :laugh:

randyrls

Bob, OK, Here it is this is the chili I made for the Ski Club Corn Roast in Aug. The small pot is sweet chili, the 8 quart is spicy. I had hoped for some left overs, but they returned it to me cleaned and washed with a note to make more next year!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Fine and compelling thread.

Panoramic approach to a heart warming dish.

BUT I'm stunned by the lack of process/completed product photographs - hungering for some visuals.

Maybe your camera lenses steamed (or burned) up.

Once, when I was stationed over seas, one of my friends was sending a cassette tape letter to his parents. After spending way too much time at the base club I came back, turned on the machine, and assuming he would listen to his letter, started out by singing a very raunchy military song followed by what sounded, I'm sure, like a trombone. Needless to say, a couple of weeks later he got a letter from his parents wondering what was going on. I never did that again and he never forgave me, even to this day 45 years later.

dogcatcher

If you want to spice up your spaghetti, add a cup or 2 of either your favorite store bought or homemade picante sauce. When in a hurry we add a cup of Pace picante chunky picante sauce, if we have the time and remember, we make a quart of picante sauce the day before tp let the flavors meld together.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
If you want to spice up your spaghetti, add a cup or 2 of either your favorite store bought or homemade picante sauce. When in a hurry we add a cup of Pace picante chunky picante sauce, if we have the time and remember, we make a quart of picante sauce the day before tp let the flavors meld together.

Don't use the stuff made in New York City!!

tomas

To start with, it is imperative to understand that there is chili and there is also chile, and they are not the same thing. Chili is made with beans, hamburger, tomatoes, onions, and red chili powder. I like to add a dash of cinnamon powder, as well.

Chile is the fruit of the chile pepper plant and comes in a variety of colors - red, green, yellow, orange, etc. In New Mexico we make both red and green chile. Red chile is made with red chile pods, garlic, onions, salt, and a dash of vinegar. You can control the spiciness by removing the seeds and membranes from the pods. Red chile is used as a sauce over just about anything - tamales, enchiladas, huevos (eggs), papas (potatoes), etc. Slow cooking beef cubes, or cubed pork is a great way to use it. Green chile is generally more of a stew that includes cubed pork, onions, garlic, stewed tomatoes, and roasted (and peeled) green chiles. This is good as a stew or as a sauce over huevos, enchiladas, tamales, rellenos (deep fried stuffed green chiles), papas, etc.

For a real treat, add red chile to cubed pork loin and posole (hominy) and simmer it for 6-8 hours.

Tomas

TonyL

I do not know if the internet still has the Chili Cook Off document floating around, but it is hysterical. It is PG rated though. It is about a guy from NY or somewhere like that, visiting Texas and is invited to serve as a replacement judge for a Texan Chili Cook-off contest. He accepts the role because he his promised all the beer that he can drink. Let's just say that he doesn't have the same "tolerance" for spicy than the other judges. Very funny, but does contact some expletives.

LouCee

I do not know if the internet still has the Chili Cook Off document floating around, but it is hysterical. It is PG rated though. It is about a guy from NY or somewhere like that, visiting Texas and is invited to serve as a replacement judge for a Texan Chili Cook-off contest. He accepts the role because he his promised all the beer that he can drink. Let's just say that he doesn't have the same "tolerance" for spicy than the other judges. Very funny, but does contact some expletives.

Tony, is this the one you're referring to? It is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkxMy3V15xU&t=187s

dogcatcher

I used to be active in a local organization that at one time had a chili cook off team. The competition between most of the teams was pretty serious, then some like our group was there for the exposure to gather more veterans into our group. Some of the cookers thought chile heat was the only way to get in the winners circle, but most knew the secret was flavor and convincing the judges that their chili had the best flavor. I can attest to the fact that some of the cookers made chili that wasnlt fit for the trash can, there was some that tried to melt the spoon with spices, they never placed. But the serious crews, had their chili down to perfection, some of the greatest bowls of chili I ever tasted was at these cookoffs, also some of the worsts.

For me, the best memories of chili was 50 plus years ago in the winter time on the ranch there was always something breaking on the worst weather days. Spend a few hours fixing a windmill or fence line, and head to town for parts included a stop at the local cafe for a bowl of chili to get the blood flowing again. Used to be able to buy what was called "brick" chili at the local grocery stores, it was a brick of pre spiced chili meat. Most of the cafes used it, lot of the bigger ranchers used it to feed the cowhands, that is what chili is supposed to taste like, full of flavor a little heat, stuff it down with a few saltines, nothing else.

Woodchipper

I believe it is either Longview or Marshall, Texas that has a fire ant festival. The requirement for the chili cookoff is the chili must contain at least one fire ant.

sbwertz

I love chili, however I have a seed/nut restrictions, so my wife makes chili with tomato juice and paste

My mother use to add macaroni to the chili and called it goulash

Our goulash was basically chili without the chili powder or beans and with elbow macaroni added.

sbwertz

With a diabetic husband, my chili is low carb. That means I make it with canned black soybeans instead of the pinto beans my mother used. I was browsing the internet a few months ago and came upon this site. Didn't even know it was there, and have no idea how long it has been there. I think I posted the recipe on a low carb recipe site four or five years ago.

https://www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/sharon-wertzs-low-carb-chili-recipe

Just noticed it is dated 2014.

Last edited:

tomas

Is that Army Green????? :biggrin:

Gotta have Texas RED!!!

Ain't Chili unless it's Green and made by my wife.

Just saying. Great over an omelet, tamale's, breakfast burrito or straight up on a cold snowy day. Spoon in one hand and napkin in the other to wipe sweat of forehead. With tamales add some shredded lettuce and sour cream on top.

Nothing wrong with Christmas (red & green together) in New Mexico. Flour will do, but I prefer corn tortillas.

Tomas

Top Bottom