So who makes the best chili?!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurnKC

So I started a thread the other day about lathes and compared them to chili, as in everyone has their own version they like! So in the spirit of cold weather, and requests from a few others, LET'S TALK CHILI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
The real question should be, Who puts Noodles in their Chili :) Granted, i'm near Cincinnati, and that's how they make theirs

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is the recipe that I use: Paul Prudhomme's Texas Red Chili.

Yes, I do roast the dried peppers and make the spice mix. This recipe is a 1/2 day event - 1-2x/year. It tastes better 2-3 days later. Reheating also seems to be fine.

For my tastes, I use all of the suggested spice amounts. For some family, I use less of the finished spice mix in the chili and serve some on the side - as written, it can be pretty hot (which I like). Frank's hot sauce/equivalent also on the side is good; and also if desired cheeses, sour cream, tortillas, etc.

As to the actual recipe, the only modification I do is to add 24 oz of canned diced tomatoes in addition to the fresh ones in the recipe.

Not to offend anyone, but I also have been known to have Bourbon on hand while cooking; no, not in the chili. :wink:

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I grew up on elbow macaroni being in chili in Southern Indiana. The folks near Cincinnati put spaghetti noodles in theirs. Got to Houston and every version of a noodle in chili disappeared. Some folks use beans, some folks don't. The high minded chili folks in Texas insisted real chili has only meat and the sauce, no beans, noodles or other items added.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

stonepecker

Chili without beans by Hormel...….LOL (remember Grumpy Old Men)

Sorry, I have three kinds of beans in my chili. I like mine best with wild game meat. Different level of spice make a big difference......I prefer mine just so I can start to taste the heat. I know people that put all kinds of things in chili. Shredded cheese on top, sliced black olives, etc.
The only thing I will add is whole kernel corn once in a great while.

Chili is a matter of taste.

Last edited:

gimpy

I love chili, however I have a seed/nut restrictions, so my wife makes chili with tomato juice and paste

My mother use to add macaroni to the chili and called it goulash

MRDucks2

My wife's family fixes a dish called goulash that is meat sauce with elbow macaroni. But it is very bland with little else in it compared to the chili I grew up on.

Fact is, I like most chili though some is better than others. The only inedible chili I ever tried was in Houston, Texas at a company chili contest... it was Pumpkin Chili. Bad idea, very bad idea.

Wagner11

Chili has always been made with elbow macaroni for my house. My grandmother makes it with spaghetti. Kidney beans, ground beef, and onion.

I've never understood cheese in chili. For me it's Frank's red hot sauce and crushed saltine crackers. With a miracle whip sandwich on the side.

Problem is I passionately dislike beans but chili doesn't taste right without them. So I don't eat much chili anymore.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I also grew up with macaroni in chili. Susanne makes it with spaghetti. I eat it anyway. It IS better after a night in the frig. Sometimes eat with crackers. Sometimes shredded cheddar with sour cream for a south of the border appeal.

Mom made Goulash with tomato puree, chopped onions and corn. Want some RIGHT NOW!!

Best chili I remember eating was made with a can of Stroh's beer. No pasta.

I do not make Chili, or much of anything else.:biggrin:

LouCee

I guess some of the preferences are regional. Where I'm originally from, Fargo, ND, many would consider it a casserole or hotdish (google that!) if it had macaroni in it. I've had chili with macaroni in and liked it, but when I think of chili it doesn't have macaroni, however I won't turn it down if it does! Everyone likes it a little different and there's nothing wrong with that. Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same thing? :)

MRDucks2

Now for how to eat it. People think I'm nuts because I load it up with crackers until it is just short of dry (all cracker pieces must be soaked with juice). I will eat it wetter if necessary.

In elementary school it was always served with a peanut butter sandwich and some folks dip it. My wife does a bologna sandwich dipped. I have found the ham and cheese sliders from Arby's are great dipped in Wendy's chili!

Mr Vic

Ain't Chili unless it's Green and made by my wife.

Just saying. Great over an omelet, tamale's, breakfast burrito or straight up on a cold snowy day. Spoon in one hand and napkin in the other to wipe sweat of forehead. With tamales add some shredded lettuce and sour cream on top.

MRDucks2

Just saying. Great over an omelet, tamale's, breakfast burrito or straight up on a cold snowy day. Spoon in one hand and napkin in the other to wipe sweat of forehead. With tamales add some shredded lettuce and sour cream on top.

Ahh, a hotel in Raton, New Mexico. Ordered breakfast before heading to the mine. A huge omelet with green chili on top. Not what a redneck Hoosier expected but man it was good.

pjkoths

Interesting concept chilli on spaghetti. I don't know if I would like it that way, but then don't knock it until you try it.

My way is thick chili with lots of diced chuck, no beans, on the hot side with tortillas.

flyitfast

Is that Army Green????? :biggrin:

Gotta have Texas RED!!!

randyrls

ME!

I took an 8 quart crock pot of chili to our Ski club corn roast last August. I had hoped to have some left-over, but I got the crock pot back all fresh and WASHED! There was a note in the bottom to make more! I did have some SWEET chili left over.
I add Corn to the chili, crushed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes, Kidney beans, quite a lot of chili powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and cayenne.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Apologies to the Cincinnati folks, but Skyline and Chili do not belong in the same sentence.
I agree 100%!! Skyline has way to much cinnamon in their chili for my liking!!

My idea of a great chili. Bloemers's hot base, onions, sauce, Bush's Chili Bean's, fresh jalapeno's from the garden, A couple fresh Habanero's, Cholula Hot Sauce, Hamburger meat, and noodles. And if I want to amp it up, i'll add a couple slices of carolina reaper! Let it sit overnight, and enjoy the next day. Requires a lot of Saltine Cracker's and something to cool your mouth down!!! :wink:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I keep a box of uncooked pasta and some Dickels handy for that Louisville Rooster whenever the aroma brings him around. At least he is not as obnoxious as "Foghorn." :rotfl:
Soak the noodles in Dickel's and enjoy :biggrin: Although i'll admit, your chili is top notch!!!! Almost as good as the bourbon :wink:

Woodchipper

The real question should be, Who puts Noodles in their Chili :) Granted, i'm near Cincinnati, and that's how they make theirs
Good ol' Cincinatti's Skyline chili! Five way, served in layers- spaghetti, chili, beans, chopped onions, grated cheese. Love it. Was in Louisville, KY last spring and found a Skyline restaurant. Steak N Shake has a dinner similar to it but not like the real thing. How many chili recipes have cinnamon and cocoa in them??? Saw a blurb in one of the wife's girly magazines- real Texas chili doesn't have beans in it. Who makes the best chili????? My wife, who else?
Had two friends who made venison chili. Was real good plus wild game has less fat in it. Healthier...so you can eat more chili!

Last edited:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Good ol' Cincinatti's Skyline chili! Five way, served in layers- spaghetti, chili, beans, chopped onions, grated cheese. Love it. Was in Louisville, KY last spring and found a Skyline restaurant. Steak N Shake has a dinner similar to it but not like the real thing. How many chili recipes have cinnamon and cocoa in them??? Saw a blurb in one of the wife's girly magazines- real Texas chili doesn't have beans in it. Who makes the best chili????? My wife, who else?
Had two friends who made venison chili. Was real good plus wild game has less fat in it. Healthier...so you can eat more chili!

I love Steak n Shake Chili!! better yet, give me a Large Chocolate malt extra thick!!!! Now we're talking.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Now for how to eat it. People think I'm nuts because I load it up with crackers until it is just short of dry (all cracker pieces must be soaked with juice). I will eat it wetter if necessary.

In elementary school it was always served with a peanut butter sandwich and some folks dip it. My wife does a bologna sandwich dipped. I have found the ham and cheese sliders from Arby's are great dipped in Wendy's chili!

Have to eat chili with a grilled cheese or peanut butter sandwich!!

Woodchipper

I keep a box of uncooked pasta and some Dickels handy for that Louisville Rooster whenever the aroma brings him around. At least he is not as obnoxious as "Foghorn." :rotfl:
Soak the noodles in Dickel's and enjoy :biggrin: Although i'll admit, your chili is top notch!!!! Almost as good as the bourbon :wink:
Soak the pasta in Dickel's then throw the pasta away and drink the Dickel's?

Wagner11

Seems like a lot of people like their chili hot. I prefer just a tad of heat and good flavor as opposed to sweating over my food

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

dogcatcher

Chili is not a condiment, but a lot of the comments have made chili a condiment. If your spaghetti is so bad you need to flavor it with chili, you might want to figure out what is wrong with your spaghetti recipe. This also goes for the macaroni, the beans, and whatever else you spice up with chili.

I am native Texan, with a heritage dating back to the day when Mexico ruled Texas as a state of Mexico. With 70 plus years of eating chili experience.

Bob in SF

Fine and compelling thread.

Panoramic approach to a heart warming dish.

BUT I'm stunned by the lack of process/completed product photographs - hungering for some visuals.

Maybe your camera lenses steamed (or burned) up.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Fine and compelling thread.

Panoramic approach to a heart warming dish.

BUT I'm stunned by the lack of process/completed product photographs - hungering for some visuals.

Maybe your camera lenses steamed (or burned) up.

This is what mine looks like, as well as some of the peppers for roasting.

No beans, no pasta.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 111

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Yes, that is chili with Noodles in it :biggrin: But quite possibly the best chili in Louisville. And it's hot!!!!!

Attachments

• az.jpg
    az.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 103

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Chili is not a condiment, but a lot of the comments have made chili a condiment. If your spaghetti is so bad you need to flavor it with chili, you might want to figure out what is wrong with your spaghetti recipe. This also goes for the macaroni, the beans, and whatever else you spice up with chili.

I am native Texan, with a heritage dating back to the day when Mexico ruled Texas as a state of Mexico. With 70 plus years of eating chili experience.
If you were Ohio Valley Area, you'd know what real chili is :biggrin:. Noodles,Peppers, Beans, Onions. The Worx!!!

Bob in SF

Looks great, Mark James! - I agree - roasted peppers - no beans or pasta in the prep, but available as add-in's.

(I hadn't thought of putting the stove on its side - nice touch)

Top Bottom