Snakewood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I am fairly new to penturning and have heard everyone rave about how wonderful snakewood is. I can't find it anywhere. Does it have another name or is it just hard to get. If anyone can help, that would be wonderful!

Johnathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill B at Arizona Silhouette has beautiful snakewood...
If you can make a pen and not have it split, please make sure you tell us how you accomplished the miracle... [;)][;)]

JimGo

Johnathan,
Welcome to IAP. As Tom implied, if you're new to pen turning, and especially if you're new to woodworking in general, then you might want to hold off on doing snakewood for a while. From what I've read here, it is a difficult wood to turn without it splitting, and that can be frustrating, especially for a newer turner. I have a few blanks at home that I haven't tried yet, mostly because I'm still waiting to feel like Murphy has left the state of Virginia for a while.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures of your pen (and a detailed description of how you did it if it didn't crack!). In fact, be sure to post LOTS of pictures of all your pens! [:D]

Dario

WELCOME!!!

I bought a couple of snakewood blanks from Bill Baumbeck (Arizona Silhouette) and they are first rate. Listen to Tom and Jim though [;)].

its_virgil

Even if Murphy leaves VA, as soon as you reach for that snakewood, he returns. Don't ask mw how he knows, but he does. I thought he had left Tex.[:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Johnathan,
Welcome to IAP. As Tom implied, if you're new to pen turning, and especially if you're new to woodworking in general, then you might want to hold off on doing snakewood for a while. From what I've read here, it is a difficult wood to turn without it splitting, and that can be frustrating, especially for a newer turner. I have a few blanks at home that I haven't tried yet, mostly because I'm still waiting to feel like Murphy has left the state of Virginia for a while.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures of your pen (and a detailed description of how you did it if it didn't crack!). In fact, be sure to post LOTS of pictures of all your pens! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom