desk set requested..... uh oh......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

A buyer of some of my pens (including a set of amboyna burl w/ sapwood Euros, who had never seen amboyna before) has gone ape and wants a desk set; a flat stand for both pens. I know I've seen this done with a natural edge piece of amboyna, but I've never done anything like this before; so I have some ridiculous questions for all you folks with real experience:

1. How much would a piece of decent looking amboyna burl cost for a double pen-stand type deal, perhaps 8 x 4 inches and maybe 3/4 to 1" thick? It would be for the home, so no business card holder would be incorporated.
2. Does one do more than simply drill the appropriate holes and finish the thing?
3. And should I be fortunate enough to find "just the right piece" of natural edge stock, are there any precautions to working with and finishing it that I should take?

Thank you (in advance) for your help. I just love this place. What did people do before the internet? LOL

Happy Choosday!
Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

I can't help much with the stock advice.
But I did find some rotary files/burrs that cut a very nice cone shape that fits a cigar just right. I assume they would be a little wide at the top for a euro but you may be able to find something with the appropriate taper.

punkinn

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Nancy,

Check this http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11278

That was the one I remembered seeing.... wonder why it didn't come up for me in my search... oh well. Thanks!

Nancy

DWK5150

Amboyna is expensive. The large slab I bought a few weeks ago and posted pics of set me $180.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12203

alamocdc

Amboyna and Afzelia burls sell by the pound. At least the pieces I've bought. Nancy, give Woodturningz a call. I believe their prices may be a little less than you will find it elsewhere.

punkinn

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Amboyna and Afzelia burls sell by the pound. At least the pieces I've bought. Nancy, give Woodturningz a call. I believe their prices may be a little less than you will find it elsewhere.

I was afraif of that. Owwwch. I'll check out Woodturningz, thanks for the referral.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom