Snakeskin blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CUDA910

I'm getting ready to cast my first snakeskin blanks in Silmar 41. I've done a lot of research on it and think I have a pretty good idea of how to do it. The only thing I don't know about is if I should try to warm the mold before casting. Any advice on the whole casting process with silmar 41 would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

ive used a variety of molds including the silicone molds. Each has its own methods, ie, if you are gonna use silicone molds, i personally would not heat them, however, i do heat the resin prior to mixing the catalyst into it. There is a fine line to everything and what works the best for me may not always work the best for you. Usually when the weather is cool(50-80) i will warm the resin for 1 cycle of 480 seconds(8minutes) and if the temp is above that range then i will only do half that time. The more you heat the resin the faster it kicks off once the catalyst is added and too much heat can cause failures.

its_virgil

I heat the resin in an ultrasonic cleaner just like Seamus. I do not heat the molds. After pouring the resin into the molds and wrangling any visible bubbles I place the mold in a toaster oven for about 1 hour or a little longer if needed. I have the oven set at 150 (using a thermometer and not the dial settings). I do not demoed the blanks until they are totally cool. But, be aware of the fire danger and do not leave them unattended while in the oven. I have never had a problem but I think one or two have.

Be sure to remove any remaining scale covers from the skin prior to attaching them skin to the tubes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom