Skype Video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
(I posted this on the woodworking forum that I frequent and thought it would be interesting to post here, so I just copied it to here.)

A couple of days ago, I discovered a new use for Skype video - at least for me.

I am a Dallas Cowboys football fan (when they are winning) going all the way back to Don Merrideth. This past Monday (here in Japan), I was on my computer, watching the CNN SI "once a minute" Cowboys/Giants live updates. (This was Sunday afternoon in the States). In the last three minutes, it was close. Suddenly I remembered that my daughter (living in Mississippi) was also a Cowboys fan and probably watching, so I called her on Skype, had her turn her web cam to the TV.

I was able to see the Giants tie and then the Cowboys come back and win. My daughter said it sure was fun to have her dad yelling beside her again. All of this was free. I know what I will be doing on early Monday mornings here from now on. My daughter's web cam was giving me 3 to 5 frames per second, a little slow, but it worked great and the audio was very clear.

Any other creative uses of Skype Video?

For those not familiar with Skype, it is a program that allows other computers with the same program and a video cam to do video talks. LOML and I do 10 to 30 minute video talks 4 to 5 times a week to our 3 daughters and 5 grandkids back in the States. This is getting kinda common but watching Football via home video conferencing is new. Oh yes, it is cheaper for us to do video phoneing than regular phoning. Regular phone calls are 10-15 cents a minute; Video Skype is free and works for those that have a fast internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom