Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfolk

I think I finally figured out how to use my skew. It has been kicking my ?!€& for a few weeks so I watched a you tube video to learn how. 90% of the video concentrated on sharpening, I guess for good reason, I picked up a diamond card and my next attempt was surprisingly effective. I turned an acrylic blank to the bushings with ease. It's an effective tool when you finally figure it out.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I think I finally figured out how to use my skew. It has been kicking my ?!€& for a few weeks so I watched a you tube video to learn how. 90% of the video concentrated on sharpening, I guess for good reason, I picked up a diamond card and my next attempt was surprisingly effective. I turned an acrylic blank to the bushings with ease. It's an effective tool when you finally figure it out.:biggrin:

I prefer to put a flat grind on the skew. It doesn't catch as much. Sharp, sharp, Sharp!

I use a 12" disk sander to sharpen the skew. I can hone the edge about 10 times before I need to go back and sharpen on the disk sander. The disk sander takes off smaller amounts of the tool, so the tool lasts longer.

Dick Mahany

I found that Alan Lacer's grind worked wonders for me. I have converted several skews to his grind and it made the difference between frustration and success for me. I use a skew far more now:biggrin:

Martin G

I'm still learning to use a skew but when I have it working right it's great. It's a really important tool to learn to use.

ossaguy

The reason I can't use a skew right,is I just can't coordinate myself to flip it over and go frome left to right.I can only go left to right.Just the same if I try to write left handed.

But I can go right to left if I use it as a scraper,which does not work good.

So I got a Woodchuck,& do good with that.

Anybody else have that weird problem?

Steve

Top Bottom