Sizes for Pepper mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I bought two Pepper mill kits from Woodcraft, I thought 2 inch stock would be big enough but these take a 1-3/4 hole in the bottom and to me this doesn't seem like a lot of stock left on the outside, the kit is the Ceramic Crush Grind Shaft Pepper Mill. any one know of one that will work better with 2 inch square stock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

CSUSA has a standard pepper mill that takes an 1 1/2 hole. That's about the smallest I've seen.

Lin.

jthompson1995

I've used the ones from CSUSA with 2" or slightly under stock and have had plenty of wood left. They call for a 1 5/8" bit for the bottom. It does make for a narrow peppermill, especially for taller mechanisms.

The ones I have made like that are narrow and simply shaped from figured wood and they show off the wood nicely.

bitshird

I think this is a case where I have already invested over 30 bucks in the hardware,not to mention the Forstner bits, so I guess I'll hunt some lumber. Probably have to laminate something I have quite a bit of Zebrawood and a bunch of Purpleheart which looks OK with Maple. Next time I'll go for the cheaper kits, they look a lot easier than these.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just as an aside, for those who don't know, we do sell the salt and pepper mechanisms made by Chef Specialties (made in USA).

Look under "Pen kits and more"....... these are the "and more".

FWIW

Oh, this kit takes a "through hole" that is 1.0625". But, at the bottom, I rout an inset for the crossbar, that is .25", resulting in a bottom inset that is 1.5625". You can do this with 2" stock, but, as was said above, it looks out of proportion on a tall peppermill body. But, it is fine for a 6-8", which is a great portion of craft show sales.---YMMV

Last edited:

bitshird

Just as an aside, for those who don't know, we do sell the salt and pepper mechanisms made by Chef Specialties (made in USA).

Look under "Pen kits and more"....... these are the "and more".

FWIW

Oh, this kit takes a "through hole" that is 1.0625". But, at the bottom, I rout an inset for the crossbar, that is .25", resulting in a bottom inset that is 1.5625". You can do this with 2" stock, but, as was said above, it looks out of proportion on a tall peppermill body. But, it is fine for a 6-8", which is a great portion of craft show sales.---YMMV

I wish I had known about them yesterday!!!

Ken,
I work with the Crush Grind mills almost exclusively on my pepper mills... the smallest stock I start with is usually a 2 1/2 square... I really like 3 inch blanks, but sometimes their hard to get... or dastardly expensive.

I like to go up to Jeffries in Seymour and look for bowl blanks or blocks of wood that are 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick and cut my own blanks... usually saves a little on the cost of the blank. I've also been know to take a 1x3 piece of lumber and glue it in stacks to get a 3 x 3 ... anything to save a buck.

Mark

Ken, I like Maple and Purpleheart together. The set (of grinders) my wife has are Purpleheart with Maple. It looks sharp.

Top Bottom