Baby Rattles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Craftdiggity

Craftdiggity

These are quickly becoming a specialty of mine. I cannot keep them in stock. They sell out at the craft shows and on the website. I have just finished these.

American Holly
AmericanHolly.jpg

Walnut
Walnut.jpg

Purpleheart
Purpleheart.jpg

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Those are nice!

Not trying to be a buzzkill here, but you might be careful with selling these. I can think of a couple of reasons right off the top of my head...

1. a bad reaction between a babies skin, and an exotic wood, or a domestic wood for that mater.

2.stringent regulations regarding toys and finishes etc.

Craftdiggity

Yep, I forgot to mention that I sell these as "heirlooms only". With each one I sell, I give copy of the FDA rules for children's toys and another document stating unequivocally how these do NOT conform blah, blah, blah. Everyone just gives me a wink and says okay.

Chris

Craftdiggity

The FDA rules would make them gigantic and unwieldy for a baby. Some of these are pushing it as it is. I made one out of ebony for my second daughter, and she conked me right on the forehead twice before I could get the thing out of her hand. I got that away from her and gave her a birch one instead.

Chris

PaulDoug

Those are some of the nicest I have seen. And what would we do without the Gov. taking care of us? We don't even have to think for ourselves anymore.. fact we can't, the Gov. won't let us. Remember, you are now breathing out a hazardous material.

I wanted to ask, before I went off on my little rant, what do you use to make the rings? Do you have one of those "ring tools"?

Chief Hill

Nice job. In my opinion disclamers and such are overboard. At least they would be in Canada. I would tell them they are for show.
Only in the Great USA can someone take a toy like this and hurt themselves and make a mountain of a mole hill by causing a huge law suit.

nava1uni

Those are nice!

Not trying to be a buzzkill here, but you might be careful with selling these. I can think of a couple of reasons right off the top of my head...

1. a bad reaction between a babies skin, and an exotic wood, or a domestic wood for that mater.

2.stringent regulations regarding toys and finishes etc.

Government issues aside. The comment about exotic wood and skin reaction in infants is a valid point. Infants and toddlers tend to mouth things and this could cause a reaction from the exotic/domestic wood if there is an allergic response. I would avoid those woods so as not to cause harm to someone who can't tell anyone that something is happening in their mouth or throat. I am a pediatric RN and some of the woods can harm infants/toddlers so be careful as to do no harm.

Top Bottom