Sixteen Inch Chip & Dip Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

This is part of the 8" wide x 2.5" thick laminated red oak mantelpiece that I got from Bruce (gofer) . I laminated two 16" long pieces of it together to give me a 16" square and then cut a 16" circle from it.
Here it is at that stage mounted on my lathe . That is getting close to maximum on-board diameter on my 18 x 47 lathe but then outboard turning could be much larger.

ChipDip1.jpg

Here is what I turned from that piece . The coke can is for size reference.
16CD1-1.jpg

Here it is with the glass chip dip inside the wood center bowl .
16CD2.jpg

I put a heavy 8" diameter oak pedestal on it for stability .
16CD3.jpg

So far it is just finished with a couple coats of Watco Danish oil . I will probably give it a couple more and then allow to cure for a week or so and then buff it..

I saved some progress pictures on this one and will be making a tutorial on it within the next day or so.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

PARTY at William O's!!:bananen_smilies051: Another great piece my friend!!

Thanks Bob and you are right . Party on . . . . . I would imagine this will be a focal point on top of somebodys oak coffee table filled with chips and dip when they have friends an relatives in for the holidays .

It will be going into my pre-Christmas craft sales.

W.Y.

Thanks all for the nice comments.

That one will be going to the craft sales for a big buck.
Sometimes we get lucky and get some nice free wood that helps pay for the extra tools and accessories.

That was all done with , (apart from the six inch big lathe face plate) , chucks that are designed for pieces up to 10 or 12 inch like my Barracuda 2 and my Oneway Talon chuck that I used on my Jet 1220 mini lathe..

A heavy duty chuck is near the top of my shopping list. Just waiting for a good sale on one. My small chucks were OK for this 16" shallow bowl but for deeper ones I would feel safer with a Oneway Stronghold or equivalent.

I got around to making the tutorial on that one . Anyone interested in a link to it is welcome to email me at my address at the bottom of my signature area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom