Single-Blank Pen Kit Recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Misfit74

So I'm new to turning pens and have some slimline kits which are fine but my question is this:

What are some inexpensive pen kits that use a single blank?

I'm going to cast some hybrid and resin blanks, use some figured woods, etc., and would like to make larger pens than the Slimlines I started with in my penmaking journey.

I'd like to keep it fairly cost effective and simple. Adding a special drill bit is no big deal but I don't want anything too crazy here. Thanks in advance..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Misfit74

May I recommend that you first consider the Sierra Twist and Sierra Click pen kits ..... single barrel.

Having said that .... there are other kits of similar size and construction ..... the Wall Street II , the Gatsby, etc.,

There are also some others of probably cheaper price ..... there is a Zephyr, a "Thank You" pen, etc., of similar shape size and slightly different hardware patterning.

It will take you a while to become familiar . . . there are a host of possibilities. . Look at various vendor websites and compare their offerings to the Sierra style pen kits which have as their primary source the Berea Hardwoods company . . . bereahardwoods . com . . . . but are also sold by other vendors.

One website you MUST become familar with, if you are not already is . . . . ExoticBlanks . com . . . . - - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Source for all things related to pen making . . . pen kits, pen blanks, and everything else that pen makers need, including outstanding personal service !!!! šŸ˜

Last edited:

sorcerertd

Of the ones Mal mentioned, the Gatsby is the PSI version of those sierra style kits. Both those and the executive kits (also PSI) have a bead where the metal meets the blank that is somewhat forgiving of slight over or under turning of the barrel. I think the executives deserve some credit for great beginner pens.

jttheclockman

Sierra style goes by many many many names these days. Mostly they are clones with different featured components. There are kits that are single barrel but longer in length such as the Zen that use a magnetic kit. As far as price you get what you pay for. If you are selling your pens I would look past the price of kits and focus on reliability and design. Make up kit price in selling price. The cheaper the plating the more returns you will have. Here is a great vendor that sells kits as well. They are an up and coming vendor that is great to deal with.

https://turnerswarehouse.com/collections/pen-kits

There is a list of vendors in the library that sell pen kits around the world. Have at it. If they are listed here they are reliable and many have dealt with them so shop with confidence.

JohnU

I agree with the Sierra style pens. They are a good medium size that everyone can use and are quick to make. I prefer the diamond knurl because it's easier for the customer to change the ink by just unscrewing the nib snd not disassembling the transmission and body.

penicillin

I like to keep Rockler's Manhattan pen kits in various platings on hand. I wait and buy them when they are on sale. I buy at the local Rockler store to save on shipping.

The Manhattan pen kits are a twist pen like the Wallstreet II, Sierra, or Gatsby. Rockler sells Manhattan and Gatsby pen kits. They are essentially the same, except:
  • The Manhattan has two rings under the cap and an engraved "fancy" center band. The Gatsby has the same two ring top and a matching two ring band.
  • The Manhattan pen twists at the long bottom of the pen. The Gatsby twists at the top cap.
  • The Gatsby comes in a click version. The Manhattan does not.
They all seem to be a common "family" of pens, but they are definitely made in multiple factories from multiple sources.

Top Bottom