Simple Segmented Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

This is the first, of I hope more to come. The idea was to make a pen with a matching stand. Colors are slightly different due to the fact the pen has a CA finish and the stand has a pseudo tung oil finish. Woods are birdseye maple, that was on the darker side and paudauk. Segment design is on the simple side, but I think it works well. The pen is a diamond knurl in gun metal.

Attachments

• IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 119
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Very Cool and attractive combo. I'm a big fan of simple segmenting. I certainly can admire and appreciate the tedious work that goes into the more ornate segmenting like scallops, frames, gisi, and such, but sometimes they seem a little busy to me and it takes away from the beauty of the wood. Having the stand segmented as well really adds to the "very cool" factor. That and I have become a big fan of the Diamond Knurl kits from Exotic Blanks.

Regards,
Dave

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Awesome set. I agree with Dave - sometimes (often) simple is better than complicated. This design gives great visual appreciation for each of the timbers. I love working with Padauk. Very, very nice. 👍 👍

KenB259

Very Cool and attractive combo. I'm a big fan of simple segmenting. I certainly can admire and appreciate the tedious work that goes into the more ornate segmenting like scallops, frames, gisi, and such, but sometimes they seem a little busy to me and it takes away from the beauty of the wood. Having the stand segmented as well really adds to the "very cool" factor. That and I have become a big fan of the Diamond Knurl kits from Exotic Blanks.

Regards,
Dave
On some more complex segmenting, I have had a few comments that they are to "busy". Everyone has their own taste and that's how it should be.

egnald

On some more complex segmenting, I have had a few comments that they are to "busy". Everyone has their own taste and that's how it should be.
Ken,
I really appreciate you taking my comment as intended. I really do marvel at some of the complex segmented pens I have seen on IAP like some of SteveJ's and KMCloonan's which are unquestionably amazing! And, you are spot on, it is neither good nor bad. It is simply a matter of personal taste.

Although I didn't comment on the Diamond Knurly you posted a few weeks ago, I really like your yellowheart and redheart "points" pen. Although I would consider the segmenting simple in my somewhat narrow minded definition, but I'll bet the process was rather involved in order to get such amazing symmetry.

Dave

KenB259

I love the fact
Ken,
I really appreciate you taking my comment as intended. I really do marvel at some of the complex segmented pens I have seen on IAP like some of SteveJ's and KMCloonan's which are unquestionably amazing! And, you are spot on, it is neither good nor bad. It is simply a matter of personal taste.

Although I didn't comment on the Diamond Knurly you posted a few weeks ago, I really like your yellowheart and redheart "points" pen. Although I would consider the segmenting simple in my somewhat narrow minded definition, but I'll bet the process was rather involved in order to get such amazing symmetry.

Dave
I love the fact that some simple looking designs, are in fact quite complex to achieve and vice versa. Gisi style blanks look quite difficult but are actually very easy. Celtic knots, another example, extremely easy to do, if you adhere to the absolutes that are required. Precision is required and not an option.

Kcimdrib

This is the first, of I hope more to come. The idea was to make a pen with a matching stand. Colors are slightly different due to the fact the pen has a CA finish and the stand has a pseudo tung oil finish. Woods are birdseye maple, that was on the darker side and paudauk. Segment design is on the simple side, but I think it works well. The pen is a diamond knurl in gun metal.
Simple it maybe but effective it certainly is. Well done Ken.

Top Bottom