Getting there...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fred Bruche

Fred Bruche

I have made a few fountain pens in this style (I think "real" pen makers would call it a model) with the idea of using them under real-life conditions, testing durability, handling, ink drying resistance, and such. This particular pen was just cleaned but it was inked for 3 months and used under various conditions. Overall I'm pleased with the results and conclusions so maybe it's time to ramp up production and find a name šŸ˜…

Flamed box elder burl and liquid diamond resin.
M13x0.8t for the cap/body junction (opens in 2 turns, give or take a 1/4 turn), M10x1 for the section/body junction.
Jowo #6 nib.
Gluboost finish.

C&C welcome.
FBE-1.jpg
FBE-2.jpg
FBE-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very appealing profile and I love the combination of materials and colors. But as I have come to realize, your choice of blanks is superb. No suggestions for nomenclature, but it deserves one. šŸ¤£

Fred Bruche

Beautiful work. What did you use for the cap insert?
There is no insert per se, as more commonly done by several makers of this type of wooden pen. The cap and body liners (including the body threads) are poured into place with colored liquid diamond epoxy resin. The cavities are then drilled when the resin has cured. I described that approach before as my "no glue method".

Fred Bruche

I love it. Great work! Is the cap bigger then the body?
From making a few in this style I concluded it is preferable to have the cap a smidge (0.5 to 1mm) larger than the body to help identify which is which, since there is no clip (yet) or other distinctive mark (yet) on the cap. It is easy to tell by handling the pen and I find it to work visually as well, noticeable but not too distracting.

derekdd

Gorgeous blank, love the creativity of pouring the epoxy into the pen then drilling and tapping.

Very clever.

Made for an elegant pen.

InkyMike

There is no insert per se, as more commonly done by several makers of this type of wooden pen. The cap and body liners (including the body threads) are poured into place with colored liquid diamond epoxy resin. The cavities are then drilled when the resin has cured. I described that approach before as my "no glue method".
Ah - I wondered when I saw your reference to the Liquid Diamonds. Did you make your own molds to do the section?

Top Bottom