Simple segmented Poseidon rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

This is a Poseidon rollerball kit from woodpenpro.com, black locust burl and blue mahoe with aluminum accents. It's a pretty solid kit, basically a Churchill clone but with stainless steel components and chrome accents. I'm not super thrilled about the metal-metal cap threads, just a little worried it won't hold up well. Other than that minor concern I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out.

PSX_20200425_220624.jpg

PSX_20200425_220542.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Nice job Sam - really like this! Beautiful choice of woods and great fit and finish! I have not seen the Poseidon - where do you get it?

Thanks Keith. It is from woodpenpro.com: woodpenpro.com/products/stainless-steel-ink-poseidon-master-pen-kit

The site is run by a guy that has been around the pen world for quite a while, he is well respected and I have only had positive experiences. I would say that the quality of the kits are mid range, but I have only tried a few different styles so far. He usually runs a 10 or 20% off coupon code, so the overall value is high IMHO. He has some unique design elements, lots of Hawaiian theme which is fun. I'd recommend checking it out.

Dehn0045

Also forgot to mention that some of the kits use oddball drill bits, I was able to make due with a standard set and some sandpaper. Also, instructions are difficult to find, I think you can email the owner to get them, but I haven't needed them up to this point as the kits are pretty standard.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love this basic design, very attractive and really highlights the woods. Great combination also. Well done. šŸ‘

Stay healthy, šŸ˜·

walshjp17

I have several of Jimmy Finley's (WoodPenPro) kits. Really nice products and great service. He's a retired Navy EOD Diver/Supply Corps officer.

mick

This one's out of the ballpark! While you call it a simple segmented pen it's actually quite elegant. Sometimes simplicity lends an air of class a more intricate doesn't. Is this kit the same size and use the same bushings as the Churchill? It looks very similar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dehn0045

This one's out of the ballpark! While you call it a simple segmented pen it's actually quite elegant. Sometimes simplicity lends an air of class a more intricate doesn't. Is this kit the same size and use the same bushings as the Churchill? It looks very similar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I suspect that it isn't identical to the Churchill (Bearea Hardwoods), but it is very similar. The drill bits are specified as 13.2 and 11.7mm, which is slightly different than the 33/64 and 31/64 for the Churchill. For the cap I used a 13mm bit and some sandpaper, and for the lower barrel I think I used a 15/32 and added some CA to the hole to help stabilize (my options were either that or 29/64 with some sandpaper). Also, the lower barrel for the Churchill is the same diameter on both ends, for the Poseidon the nib end is slightly smaller diameter than the post end. The cap is close, I think I measured it to be 0.596 versus 0.590 for the Churchill. Long story short, I wouldn't trust using the same bushings for the Churchill and Poseidon, but since I TBC I don't worry about bushings anyway.

Dehn0045

Thanks, I might try couple.

The Poseidon was recommended to me by another IAP member that likes them, after making this one I tend to agree with him. The Tapa Pacifica is nice, but what he is offering now has cracked accent pieces so he sends 2 for the price of 1 -- I found this to be a little frustrating. Maybe someday I will find a way to use the damaged ones (Honey, I need a metal lathe! :p). The Pacifica clicker is a sharp pen, but the click mechanism is finicky so I would avoid that one in the future (possibly my technique?). The other Pacifica twists are really sharp, I got a couple poker kits and fishers but haven't turned them yet. I also got a Tapa Traveler, Dinero, and Celticus Rollerballs that I have yet to turn, looking at them in hand you can tell the finishes are a little lower quality than Berea or Dayacom comparables but the prices are substantially lower.

Top Bottom