Silicone Molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daddy1

I just started casting and am doing very basic pr in molds with color. I was thinking a great mold would be a silicone bake ware mold for small bread loaves. What do you all think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

They will work BUT the weight of the resin MAY distort the shape of the mold when full bec they are so thin. It helps to make a sturdy frame around the outside of the mold. What I have done is wrap aluminum foil around the outside of the mold and then cover the foil with masking tape. You want the tape to be snug (loose enough that it falls off if you lift the mold) around the mold but not tight that it distorts the shape of the mold. Since the aluminum does dot stick to the mold you can take it off once the resin hardens and peel the mold off the resin. Make sure it is silicone though not the ones that are made of flexible rubber...a friend of mine tried it and told me the resin sticks to te rubber [:I]

leehljp

Member Liaison
I discovered something in making casts - The molds need to be about 1/16 inch deeper than wide, if casting is to be done with fill-in material. In casting coffee beans (and probably other material) the material will lift/float a little due to its lighter weight, particularly on slow setting resins.

I have about 1/16 to 1/8 clear layer for the whole lenght on the bottom of my beans cast because they "floated". I had a top on it but they bunched up anyway. My answer to this is to make the 3/4 by 3/4 mold to be 13/16 by 3/4 or 7/8 by 3/4. I want to try the red pepper blanks but I figured I would get the same thing.

DozerMite

Banned
Yes they work. I use them all the time.I picked up several at a dollar store for the mini loafs and get three 3/4"x3/4"x6" out of it.I made a small frame for them to sit in and they work great.

Top Bottom